• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

The NFL

My brother was driving my car and got into a minor traffic accident. It was head on but at under 5 miles an hour. This happened in New York. Now I'm being sued for 10 million. No injuries were reported at the scene. Now I hear the other party recieved carpel tunnel and soft tissue damage to her neck and back, first of all What is soft tissue damage ? Second if I transfer my assets to my Wife would they be protected from a settlement if she won over my policy limits of 50/100? Thanks for any help.Losing sleep in N.Y.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The NFL:
My brother was driving my car and got into a minor traffic accident. It was head on but at under 5 miles an hour. This happened in New York. Now I'm being sued for 10 million. No injuries were reported at the scene. Now I hear the other party recieved carpel tunnel and soft tissue damage to her neck and back, first of all What is soft tissue damage ? Second if I transfer my assets to my Wife would they be protected from a settlement if she won over my policy limits of 50/100? Thanks for any help.Losing sleep in N.Y.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Soft tissue injuries are those injuries which involve everything other than broken bones; e.g., whiplash (neck muscles), carpel tunnel syndrome, nerve injuries, muscle sprains and strains, cuts, bruises, etc. - anything on the human body that is injured, which is soft and pliable, internally or externally. Insofar as your potential monetary exposure is concerned, it is no where near the extremes of the plaintiff's demand. For example, in California, an owner of a vehicle is, at most, liable for the negligence of a permissive user (your brother) up to a maximum of $15,000.00 per person, up to $30,000.00 for all persons, and $5,000.00 for property damage. That's it. Only if YOU were driving the car would you be in any real trouble with your low limits of liability. Talk to your insurance agent about the law in New York concerning "permissive user / driver" liability - which brings me to this question: If you're being sued, why hasn't your insurance company attorney talked to you about this already?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 28, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">