• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel- How can I protect myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

youngschmuck

What is the name of your state? TX/

I have joint, but not custodial custody over our 13 year old. I would like to take him for a week or 10 days out of the country in order for him to see his family.

After ex agreed to it (verbally on the phone) I requested our kids passport, he didn't have a valid passport so my ex supmitted an application (which I had to sign authorization for, which, including the purpose of the application, I've sent to ex via certified mail).

I need to know what other precautions I should take, in order to take my child with me for this visit out of the country, legally.

The divorce decree only states that foreign visits have to be disgussed and agreed upon. Is there a legal document ex has to sign to agree to it? or is what we've exchanged ( above) enough. I don't want to be accused of kidnapping or something like that.

Thanks a ton for your feedback.

Schmuck

youngschmuck said:
What is the name of your state? TX/

I have joint, but not custodial custody over our 13 year old. I would like to take him for a week or 10 days out of the country in order for him to see his family.

After ex agreed to it (verbally on the phone) I requested our kids passport, he didn't have a valid passport so my ex supmitted an application (which I had to sign authorization for, which, including the purpose of the application, I've sent to ex via certified mail).

I need to know what other precautions I should take, in order to take my child with me for this visit out of the country, legally.

The divorce decree only states that foreign visits have to be disgussed and agreed upon. Is there a legal document ex has to sign to agree to it? or is what we've exchanged ( above) enough. I don't want to be accused of kidnapping or something like that.

Thanks a ton for your feedback.

Schmuck
What country are you taking the child to? If your ex is in agreement then call your attorney and have him/her write the permission so that both of you may sign and have notarized. It should be that simple if you are on the birth certificate.

Verbal doesn't mean anything to customs.

(GRAPEVINE) I have heard that you two can actually write the letter and go to a notary public yourselfs to sign, but of course I have never done this. I always get my lawyer to draft something. It's a bit more expensive but it covers all the bases.

Also, call Customs, see what they want. It may be as easy as what I just said.

youngschmuck

European country.

I didn't think that customs might require something too, but it makes sense. Boy what a supprize that would be not to be able to take him with me, after paying thousands on the plane tix.

I'll take your advise on the Lawyer writing the letter, I think this way ex might be forced to say yes or no in wrting. And thats exactly what I need to know in order to even book the flights.

Thanks

Schmuck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">