• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree Visibility Hazard Ma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Billy2013

Massachusetts Resident

Hi,
I have 2 trees on my roadside owned by the Town. They restrict my view badly making exiting my driveway treacherous to me, guests and oncoming traffic. There is a public hearing as to whether I can get the 2 trees removed or not. If I can't remove them and I or a guest gets t-boned by a car and badly injured can I sue the Town for failure to provide public safety or similar. How do I appeal the public hearing decision legally if needs be?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Worry about it when there is a decision made. I really don't see much of a problem there.

Billy2013

Worry about it when there is a decision made. I really don't see much of a problem there.
It's a main road and I asked them for a Hidden Drive sign a year ago and they determined it was unnecessary in part because 70% of drivers ignore them according to Ma stats they quoted so I'm not too hopeful. If they bothered to exit the drive in a car (as opposed to looking at the drive casually) they'd have the same response as everyone who has and that's "holy sh*t that's dangerous".

Will see...just wondering how to appeal it legally should it be required. It's a matter of time before a bad accident.

Thanks for your response!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How would a "hidden drive" sign help your visibility?

Honestly, from what you've posted, it doesn't seem like visibility is all that affected...except when you back out. You may want to consider exiting forward, instead of reversing.

I've reported your post because the pics identify your location.

Billy2013

I drive straight out and don't reverse. I turn around in driveway. Let's just assume that me and my guests are sane, reasonable and correct when we say it's tracherous exiting the driveway in a cer and that visibility is poor and a threat to safety. Not worried about my tree's address being identified if someone wants to take them away ....great. :)

Billy2013

How would a "hidden drive" sign help your visibility?

Honestly, from what you've posted, it doesn't seem like visibility is all that affected...except when you back out. You may want to consider exiting forward, instead of reversing.

I've reported your post because the pics identify your location.
At least the hidden drive sign would be something better than nothing in terms of warning oncoming traffic of a potential hazard hence such signs all over Ma

Zigner

At least the hidden drive sign would be something better than nothing in terms of warning oncoming traffic of a potential hazard hence such signs all over Ma
Do you have any statistics to show that such a sign is effective in preventing accidents caused by cars entering a roadway upon which they don't have sufficient visibility?

henbob6

Not a legal reply - but can you post a big curved mirror across the street from your driveway? (The small-ish NE town I grew up in had a dozen or so scattered about.)

Zigner

Not a legal reply - but can you post a big curved mirror across the street from your driveway? (The small-ish NE town I grew up in had a dozen or so scattered about.)
It's got one - it was visible in the pics.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
My comment was edited for some reason - but I said that the visibility issue didn't seem to be that bad. As you pull out of the driveway your problem is with the trees to the left? The first picture your posted seemed to indicate that visibility was pretty good as long as you don't shoot right out of the driveway onto the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">