• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Triple insurance??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Otterchick

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Here is my situation...my husband has a court order to pay child support for 2 children. It says that he must also pay for health insurance for these children. The children were put on my health plan which is an excellent plan. They are also covered by medicaid from their mother. Now child support is telling him he has to provide medical insurance from his employer because the court order says that "he" must provide insurance for the children. My questions are this...

1) Is it true that under the "no child left behind act" that both parents must provide insurance?? (something we were told)

2) Isn't it enough that insurance is provided by him through me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Gracie3787

Otterchick said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Here is my situation...my husband has a court order to pay child support for 2 children. It says that he must also pay for health insurance for these children. The children were put on my health plan which is an excellent plan. They are also covered by medicaid from their mother. Now child support is telling him he has to provide medical insurance from his employer because the court order says that "he" must provide insurance for the children. My questions are this...

1) Is it true that under the "no child left behind act" that both parents must provide insurance?? (something we were told)

2) Isn't it enough that insurance is provided by him through me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
When push comes to shove, usually the CSE agencies and the courts don't really care who actually furnishes the insurance, as long as it isn't the CP.

My advice is for him to contact CSE and give them proof that his children are covered under your insurance, therefore he IS in cmpliance with the court order. My guess is that they will drop the subject.

Otterchick

We've tried to contact them, however they don't like to answer the phone much in our county. We don't know what else to do....

brisgirl825

Otterchick said:
We've tried to contact them, however they don't like to answer the phone much in our county. We don't know what else to do....
Try asking for the caseworker's supervisor. Keep trying everyday.

Certify mail proof that the kids are covered under your policy to the case manager. That might be enough. Gracie's right. Often times CSE doesn't really care who in particular is covering the children; only that they're medically insured.

Zephyr

Make copies of the kids insurance cards and send them in to cse, that should be all the proof they need.

NotSoNew

also her having the kids on medicade while they are covered under another plan is ILLEGAL. she is to take them off!

dynomight77 said:
also her having the kids on medicade while they are covered under another plan is ILLEGAL. she is to take them off!
That's actually not true. My son has medicaid too. He's got my insurance as primary and medicaid as secondary based on his disabilities (not my income). I have to do a coordination of benefits however each calendar year. So it's not necessarily illegal to have both.

I carry my stepkids on my insurance too and mom hates it. She tried to complain to the courts in Pennsylvania and they pretty much didnt' care. Felt my husband is doing the right thing as long as insurance exists. It also helped that we showed processed claims showing she was easily able to use the insurance.

ablessin

dynomight77 said:
That is not accurate.

Provided Medicaid program is aware that there is other coverage, and the child STILL qualifies, there is nothing illegal.

It is when one parent LIES to obtain the coverage.

There are many cases where the kids have an HMO (or whatever) and Medicaid Second....... the Medicaid will pick up co-pays, etc.

This is especially true for children with chronic health problems, such as asthma and diabetes.

NotSoNew

I am sorry I was only referring to it being illegal barring exceptional circumstances. In our case BM had child on medicade and dad had her on his insurance the court told her she was breaking the law if she didnt take her off medicade because she told them she would submit the copays to medicade. There were no exceptional medical conditions in our case.

Otterchick

We know the medicaid thing is illegal, however I'm sure she won't take them off because if she uses our insurance she would have to pay a co-pay. She isn't the most moral person in the world...she just aborted triplets so her boyfriend would pay for her rent. Sigh. However our attorney is putting in the motion that she must use our insurance(s). Isn't it fun.....

ablessin

IF she qualifies, she CAN keep the medicaid insurance to pay the copays after YOUR insurance payment is made!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can call DSS and tell them they need to investigate and they will. They will ask her if there is other insurance, etc.
If she lies, and gets caught she will have to repay the money ---

There is a hotline - people call in "tips" all of the time. Your name will stay anonymous.

It's not illegal to have Medicaid after an HMO (or whatever) - PROVIDED DSS Knows at time of application!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">