• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble With My Lawyer (HELP)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Topper

The Lawyer who is handling my case is a friend of my husband. When he took our case, he promised no charge since my husband had done him many favors. My husband has since become ill and now my lawyer wants x amount of dollars before he will go into court. We never signed a retainer. It was verbal, friend to friend agreement. What can I do?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Topper:
The Lawyer who is handling my case is a friend of my husband. When he took our case, he promised no charge since my husband had done him many favors. My husband has since become ill and now my lawyer wants x amount of dollars before he will go into court. We never signed a retainer. It was verbal, friend to friend agreement. What can I do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sign a retainer now and agree to pay or use another attorney. Seems like the legal friend just got a little unfriendly. But then again most attorneys can not give an unlimited amount of free legal services. There are various and sundry costs and expenses associated with operating a law practice including but not limited to the legal counsels' billable hours, court costs, office expenses, salaries of paralegal, legal secretary, office manager, rent, fancy cars etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">