• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust payout question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrustUser

just fyi - i dont know any californian who does not like prop 13. you would probably need to live here, to appreciate it.

we are not like most other states in the union, in regards to property. values skyrocket.

lots of people do stay in their homes, longer than they otherwise would - simply because to change would cost an arm and a leg.

there are some counties who share. i havent checked lately, cuz it does not affect me, but it at least used to be that if you bought and sold in 2 counties who shared, you could keep your old assessed value, as long as the new place was not more expensive than the old one.

the govt also is able to add on a lot of levies to the original 2%.

i am not even remotely a person who likes much govt. as far as i am concerned, we should get rid of 90% of our govt, and all the ridiculous waste that goes along with it - but that is for another discussion

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
just fyi - i dont know any californian who does not like prop 13.
I understand why they like it with respect to themselves. It benefits them and they don't think about exactly how the law works or the fact that by so drastically limiting how local governments can raise revenue that they don't get the funding they need to do the things citizens want them to do. But even if they like it for themselves as homeowners, they ought to at least support changing it to allow periodic reassessment of commercial and investment property. Is there any reason why corporations like Apple, Google, etc., can't pay the property taxes based on current values of their valuable property rather than still paying based on much lower values of 10, 20, or 40 years ago? That change alone would be a big help to local governments and wouldn't hurt homeowners one bit.

TrustUser

i understand your sentiment, but some states have no income tax at all

we need to attract businesses, here. and then we need them to stay.

no matter when they come, the property tax rate on that building will be greater than in most other places

but we may be able to offer some other incentives as to why they would want to come

assuming that we promise them the increase in rates will be at 2%

without some sort of guarantee, they may decline in the first place, knowing that fee is gonna double and more

so it is a 2-edged sword

i dont feel sorry for local govts, either - i have seen ridiculous amounts of waste in my local city - things that would not be done if the project was being done by a for-profit corporation

there is only 1 real answer to this solution. and it is make govt responsible for its spending.

i would make every govt many, many times smaller. just about everything would be done by private companies.

and i would make damn sure that none of these companies had hooks into the govt, such that they could get okayed, when they were not the best bid

that doesnt necessarily mean cheapest bid, but the best bid

i am personally aware of private companies who win bids based on something other than them being the best deal in town

we need govt that has no corruption, and is totally accountable.

the first step is to make govt smaller - MUCH SMALLER

even with these ridiculous property tax rates, california is going down the tubes.

sacramento has the same levels of corruption as washington, for the size of the community

i owned 2 properties in sacramento, being managed by someone who is high up - he met obama when he came to visit

because of that i know about specifics that i would never have known about, otherwise

corruption in govt is just blatant, no matter where one looks.

now that may not be true in the mom and pop towns

but once the municipality is large enough for them to hide, the crooks are everywhere

TrustUser

i dont know if you are aware, but there has been a mass exodus of residents out of california, who were good citizens, paid their taxes, etc. etc.

and a mass influx of people who want something for nothing, over the past several decades. we are very close to becoming a socialized state.

i am retired, so it does not affect me nearly so much as those who are trying to make a living.

but now instead of trying, they are simply leaving to most any other state, where the situation is tons better

i dont blame them a bit, but it certainly makes the job that much more difficult for those who stay

it is like that snowball rolling down the mountain. more and more snow keeps building, and the building increases at exponential rates, making that snowball more and more powerful, until the only thing that can be done is run out of its path

and that is why we have so many ex-californians, now. they ran out of the path of ridiculous spending, sanctuary cities, and all the other crap

so you are really speaking to the wrong person, if you are looking for someone to sympathize with any level of govt here in california

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">