• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trustee's Attorney Billing Me?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? FL
Filed my Chapter 7 in July, 2003. Had my 341 in August. The Trustee saw some things she disliked, and requested a 2004 Examination, which took place in October. Meeting lasted approx 40 minutes at which time the atty representing the Trustee was satisfied that my filing was legit, found no hidden or undisclosed assets, and told me he would grant my discharge.
My only remaining obstacle, I believed, was to make the payments the Trustee and I agreed to on my non exempt assets. She advised me that my discharge would not be granted until I met this obligation. This was my vehicle, and we agreed to one payment per month for five months. I paid that off in three months and assumed I was in the clear. That was in February, 2004.
So, I'm awaiting my discharge when I receive a letter in the mail today from the Trustee's counsel. It is a bill for $2,200 in legal fees for services rendered. Am I the one responsible for this payment? Do I have any recourse in this matter? It seems to me the Trustee should be responsible for this payment since she is the one who requested said counsel, and after his due diligence he ruled "against" her. Seems unfair to me, but sometimes that's the way things pan out.
Anyone?

HomeGuru

SallyX said:
What is the name of your state? FL
Filed my Chapter 7 in July, 2003. Had my 341 in August. The Trustee saw some things she disliked, and requested a 2004 Examination, which took place in October. Meeting lasted approx 40 minutes at which time the atty representing the Trustee was satisfied that my filing was legit, found no hidden or undisclosed assets, and told me he would grant my discharge.
My only remaining obstacle, I believed, was to make the payments the Trustee and I agreed to on my non exempt assets. She advised me that my discharge would not be granted until I met this obligation. This was my vehicle, and we agreed to one payment per month for five months. I paid that off in three months and assumed I was in the clear. That was in February, 2004.
So, I'm awaiting my discharge when I receive a letter in the mail today from the Trustee's counsel. It is a bill for $2,200 in legal fees for services rendered. Am I the one responsible for this payment? Do I have any recourse in this matter? It seems to me the Trustee should be responsible for this payment since she is the one who requested said counsel, and after his due diligence he ruled "against" her. Seems unfair to me, but sometimes that's the way things pan out.
Anyone?
**A: and who pays the Trustee? You do.

SallyX

Thanks for the reply and info. And, yes, I did attend my 2004 Examination meeting pro se. It'll be interesting to see what the Trustee and her attorney are up to. By the way, she is a partner in this same law firm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">