• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to sue someone for damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

Hi, Im trying to sue someone for the damage to my vehicle because her insurance offered me a settlement amount that is less than the cost of my damages due to limited Property Damage Coverage on her policy. Im trying to sue her for the difference of what her insurance offered me.
Two months after the incident, I found out that she moved to a new address because as I pass by her house, I saw the windows and doors are closed with a big sign on her yard saying that its for sale with realtor"s contact information only. I got her drivers licence no. and the policy holders name in the police report, but how can the court send her a court appearance letter or how can I send her a demand letter if I don't know where she live now.
What are my chances of getting her payment in this situation? thanks


Senior Member
have you already accepted the money her insurance has offered?

to find her you can do an address check through the post office. provide them with the old address and ask if there is a forwarding address on file.


Junior Member
The insurance? The driver? the policyholder? or all of them!

No, I haven't accepted any amount offered by her insurance yet. I did some research first on her ability to pay and I think she can pay my damages because of her house that is for sale now. Is it likely the court will demand the insurance to pay me the initial offer amount and the driver for the difference in case they will give it to my favor? Can I include both the insurance and the driver's name in my petition? and also the policyholder's name? thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential