• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two kids, two mothers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

So he is going to pay 20% for child #1 and 20% to child #2 for a total of 40% of his income? By that logic if he had 5 kids with 5 different women he would pay 100% of his income. That doesnt seem right. Am I missing something here?
No, you can't read. Read it again.

If he makes $100/week, then $20 goes to child one, which leaves him with $80. 20% of $80 is $16, which goes to child 2. There is a cap eventually.

But, remember no one told him to have children that he couldn't afford.

GrowUp!

So he is going to pay 20% for child #1 and 20% to child #2 for a total of 40% of his income? By that logic if he had 5 kids with 5 different women he would pay 100% of his income. That doesnt seem right. Am I missing something here?
Are you serious with this question? :rolleyes:

nextwife

No, child two gets 20% of what is left, not 20%.

There is a maximum that can be garnished. Mom 4 and 5 would probably get little NOW, it would get tacked onto arrears.

If dad were smart, he'd freeze his sperm and get snipped so that no other moms can get pregnant by him unless he has really thought it over and decided he can afford it- or decided WHEN he can afford it.

I have my husband's child three. But husband doesn't pay CS for child one or two anymore (they aged out at 21).

CJane

There is a maximum that can be garnished. Mom 4 and 5 would probably get little NOW, it would get tacked onto arrears.
But there's not a max that can be ordered... and not all CS is garnished automatically. In my state, you can't get CS garnished unless the CP is significantly in arrears or volunteers for an income withholding.

Neither of my ex's pay CS via garnishment.

nextwife

But there's not a max that can be ordered... and not all CS is garnished automatically. In my state, you can't get CS garnished unless the CP is significantly in arrears or volunteers for an income withholding.

Neither of my ex's pay CS via garnishment.
Correct. Which is why I said that amounts beyond the max would get tacked on as arrears.

Having been self employed for many years, I fully understand that not all CS is garnished. Not all of us have garnishable incomes.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Trust me - that one I know - my ex hasn't had a 'job' in 9 years. He claims to be "self-employed." I have a very new child support order with a garnishment. Haven't seen the $$ yet. I think he's been fired!

I was willing to give up a portion of the arrears in exchange for a filed tax return, so that the FASFA can be completed for the child HE has custody of. Schmuck. He has 9 more days and the offer is off the table.

tuffbrk

I'm so with you Ginny! My STBX blew through my son's college funds, on his proposed early settlement proposal he doens't want to pay for anything for either of our kids, wants to claim them as exemptions every other year...and in the meantime, Mr Self Employed hasn't filed taxes in 14 yrs and so the FAFSA for my son can't even be completed. They're all Schmucks when they can't put their children's futures before spite...

Whew...just a little venting. Think I"m PMS'ing big time today!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">