• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two week notice for commission sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karter

What is the name of your state? Mass.
I am a commission salesman who is getting ready to go to another company. Once i give my two weeks notice i will be released at once. Can i give my notice, and say i will be on vacation for those two weeks and still get paid for those two weeks? {my commissions}. I currently recieve nothing for vacation execpt the commission i earned wile on vacation. Can my employer release me, stop paying me my commission at time of notice?

Beth3

Can i give my notice, and say i will be on vacation for those two weeks and still get paid for those two weeks? You can try but what would your employer's incentive be to agree to that arrangement?

Can my employer release me, stop paying me my commission at time of notice? Yes, unless you have an employment agreement with the employer to the contrary.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just as an FYI: in MA you must be paid for any vacation time that you have accrued but not taken, so you're going to get any accrued vacation time anyway.

In MA, any sales that you CLOSED prior to your last day of employment (that means the last day you WORKED) are due you regardless of when the commissions are generally paid. The employer cannot hold back any commissions for sales that you CLOSED on the basis that you are no longer employed by them when the client pays or when the commissions are generally paid out.

However, any sales that you may have started but someone else closed for you after you leave, are payable to him, not you, unless the company specifically chooses to pay all or part of it to you.

azgrandpa

OK, I'm totally not qualified to answer this, but I'll offer this suggestion anyway!

If your employer isn't aware of your intension to leave them; why not take your vacation, then first day back, give your 2 weeks notice?? If you think they are going to stick it to you, when you give your notice; why not do it to them first?

I'm assuming that you are drawing residuals while on vacation and if terminated, your residuals would quit?

K

karter

the new company wants me to start ASAP. My true Vaca is in Aug. already scheduled with the new company. I just wanted to know if they had to keep me on the books till the end of july. The on the road sales guys don't really show vaca time on the books. Being 100% commission i wasn't sure how i would be paid for unused vacation time.

thanks to all who replied!!!!!

karter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">