• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Typewritten MS Copyright Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

salmichaels

I tend to write on a typewriter and do not want to type a copyright notice on every page. I am considering printing out pre-formatted pages on my laser printer that have page numbers, my name, the name of the work, and of course, the copyright notice on each page. I don't really want to see copyright notice on every page. If I print in real small font, say 8pt, in grey nearly white color, would that be sufficient?

thanks in advance!
Sal

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
In what country are you located? In the U.S. you don't need to put a copyright notice on every page or even anywhere on the document for the document to be protected under copyright law. The document is protected the moment you type it out on the paper. Registration of your works is important to help you enforce those rights, and it can be useful to put a copyright notice somewhere on the document (often placed at the beginning of the document). But you certainly don't need it on every page.

If you are not asking about U.S. law you will need to find another site, as this one focuses on U.S. law.

FlyingRon

What TM says is not only true in the US (since we adopted the Berne convention) but in any of the other 175 signatory countries. Copyright is an inherent right of expression in a tangible form.

quincy

Where are you located, Sal?

What sort of writing are you doing (e.g., schoolwork, research, creative)?

The answers you have received are correct in that copyright notices are no longer required on works to have copyright protection. As soon as an original and creative work is fixed in tangible form (pen to paper, brush to canvas), the work has protection under copyright laws.

But there are ways to further protect your work from infringement by others. Registration with the US Copyright Office is one way. https://www.copyright.gov

quincy

The laws can vary in significant ways from country to country. You can use the US Copyright Office link provided earlier to read about US copyright laws.

We all appreciate the thanks.

Good luck with your writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">