• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

typical credit collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ablessin

What is the name of your state? NY

I have kind of a funny story, but sadly, it probably happens all of the time.
I was just reading a post where DebtCollector stated "if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen" - -never were truer words spoken.

Ok, here goes:
I had an account on my credit report, so I used some advice I found on this forum, I wrote a letter asking if they'd settle for 65% of the balance. Got this nice letter, we will accept $____ as payment in full, if it is received no later than 11/17/05.

SO, I send a check for that exact amount, HAD to have been received by them because it cleared my bank on the 21st.

So, then - I get this letter, "thank you for your payment, however our records do not indicate a payment arrangement on file for this account. Please call us to advise when you will submit the balance"

I was in shock**************.. luckily for me I kept that original letter, and I copied the check. So, I made a copy of the letter they sent me, and I went online and printed off the cancelled check and sent that - along with a note that said I paid per your settlement option and I refuse to pay any more on this account. As far as I am concerned the debt is paid.

Well, it's been 6 weeks and I have not heard so I assume they dropped it. I also (last week) sent all this info to TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax so that my credit report can be updated.

I am sure this happens often, so I am here to say - KEEP everything. I have a file folder I keep ALL those papers in (I have a cloudy credit profile) so that I can prove if ever needed an account was paid, etc....

Schmo11

re:

Because the settlement letter stated the money was to be received by the 17th, and your payment cleared on the 21st, technically you may not have settled the account. Most companied have a grace period of payment posting of about 5 days, so call the company and get the fax number for their dispute department. Fax a letter saying that you dispute the balance owed. Include the documents you have for proof, your name, social security #, and a contact number. They might agree with you. If they don't respond within 30 days, then your whole account with them will clear off your credit bureau.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">