• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclaimed Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerry Jones

What is the name of your state?
Texas

My girlfriend found out that there is an unclaimed life insurance policy from her grandparents that is 10 to 15 years old. We dont know if what were being told i# true, but the money is suppose to be divided up with her sister and uncle. The uncle is asking for $130, but apparently a judge wont sign off on it because its a small claim? Its now jumped up to $500 from each???

This is also setting in Texas unclaimed property.

Is her uncle and laywer trying to con us?

LdiJ

Texas

My girlfriend found out that there is an unclaimed life insurance policy from her grandparents that is 10 to 15 years old. We dont know if what were being told i# true, but the money is suppose to be divided up with her sister and uncle. The uncle is asking for $130, but apparently a judge wont sign off on it because its a small claim? Its now jumped up to $500 from each???

How much is the life insurance policy worth?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Texas

I'm not sure how this affects your girlfriend at all...
(Or you, for that matter).

Dandy Don

The uncle is asking for $130.00 from who? Does he think that this is his share of the money?

Your girlfriend should begin to file the claim for these funds and she can do it online through the Texas Department of Unclaimed Property website, and they will then ask her to submit documentation to support her claim, such as a certified copy of letters testamentary (the probate court document that was issued to whoever served as the executor or administrator of your grandparents' estate. If she knows who the executor or administrator was, she should tell the executor/administrator about this so that the executor/administrator can begin claiming this money and then distribute it to the legal heirs. The unclaimed property office should be able to give you details about which grandparent's estate this money belongs to.

If your girlfriend has not done so, she needs to check the county courthouse online probate index to see if either or both grandparents had a last will and testament that was officially probated in court.

If there was no probate done for either grandparent, then she or uncle or an attorney they hire will need to open up probate to handle this money.

If the unclaimed property office uses state law as a guideline for who is eligible to inherit, then they will probably tell you who they think the legal heirs are but you may also ask a local probate attorney if what you are being told is correct or not.

She will also need to get more specific information from the unclaimed property office by asking them: "Did the policy name anyone specifically as beneficiaries or were their no beneficiaries listed?" If girlfriend and uncle were named as beneficiaries, then the money is payable directly to girlfriend and uncle and there will then be no need for the money to go through probate court. Probate court is needed only if there were no beneficiaries designated. If there were designated beneficiaries then the grandparent probably specified how much money was to go to each beneficiary.

Do not pay anything at this time or at any other time. She can tell uncle that the claim is being sorted out and if he is entitled to anything he will be informed about it during the claim approval process.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I'm not sure how this affects your girlfriend at all...
(Or you, for that matter).
I think that the OP worded things poorly, I think that he meant to say that the policy was to be divided between his girlfriend, her sister, and their uncle.

justalayman

Texas

Who is listed as beneficiary of the policy? That is who is due the money from the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">