• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment and 401K money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thanks, JAL. Appreciate the comments. I've also learned to respect your positions on most issues.

One of these days I'll finish this night assignment and be able to sleep at nights.

tenswyf

This is the paragraph from Publication 1901 that I believe applies here (and that justalayman referred to).

Example 3. You contributed one-half or more to the cost
of the retirement benefit.
Since you contributed one-half or more to the cost of the
retirement benefit, none of the $430 would be prorated and
deducted from your WBA. Therefore, you would be entitled
to your full $180 WBA.

I did call the unemployment office. The gentleman I spoke to said he did not think taking a lump sum distribution would count against benefits but that I could find out for sure by reading this publicatioon. So I guess while it does not specifically mention 401K, I have to go by that paragraph.

Thank you all for you help. I will post here when I know the answer for sure, maybe that will help someone else later on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">