• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment and self-employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Unemployment always wants gross, not net earnings. If you have a 1099 to file at the end of the year, rest assured that if this money is not reported somewhere to the unemployment system during the time you were receiving benefits, you'll be hearing from the unemployment system then, when it is far too late to re-do it correctly. My suggestion is that you find a living human to speak with in the system, discuss with them how you deal directly with your specific case. Or don't do the work at all. Or take a break for a few weeks and then reopen your claim. A "new adjudication" is not really the crisis indicated here since it would be for a non covered very temporary contract, which does not require a new eligibility decision.
It really doesn't make sense that they would want gross rather than net, when so much of self employment only results in profit being a fraction of the money invoiced. Are you saying that if someone on UI opens an Ebay store and sells a product that they are not going to be able to deduct cost of goods sold or shipping?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I'm not in Michigan, though I 'm quite familiar with it (my mother is from Detroit and I still have a lot of family in the area). Even if I drove in to work, it would still take an hour and a half minimum, and parking is well over twenty bucks a day. I'm afraid I can't generate a lot of sympathy for a 45-60 minute commute, even if it is all driving. I've done the driving thing where there was no transit to the area I needed to get to and it still took longer than that. For a small state we generate some pretty long commutes.

LdiJ

No, I'm not in Michigan, though I 'm quite familiar with it (my mother is from Detroit and I still have a lot of family in the area). Even if I drove in to work, it would still take an hour and a half minimum, and parking is well over twenty bucks a day. I'm afraid I can't generate a lot of sympathy for a 45-60 minute commute, even if it is all driving. I've done the driving thing where there was no transit to the area I needed to get to and it still took longer than that. For a small state we generate some pretty long commutes.
If I had a commute that long I would prefer to use transit too. At least then you could read a book, or watch videos on your phone or even do some work. Heck you could knit or crochet or do all kinds of productive things.

Reactions: cbg

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Quite true. I get a lot of reading and even some writing done during that time - sometimes even catching up on my sleep!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">