• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment benefits: unsolicited, comm. only job "offers"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nextwife

What is the name of your state? WI

The party was laid off from a bank's mortgage processing dept. He was approved for unemployment, and must report each week whether he's "turned down" any job offers.

After posting his resume online on several job boards, he's been inundated with "offers" for B.S., commission only, provide your own car, pay your own expenses, and cold-call all over the place, all day, type jobs for which he has no interest. He is not really that much of a salesman, and doubts his earning capacity in sales and doesn't want to be spending all this money on gas and auto before he knows whether he'd actually make money.

So, my question:

Do these offers from insurance company recruiters and telecommunication companies that want to hire him, without really paying him, have to be reported as actual job offers?

las365

My guess is that the wording of requirements for seeking and not turning down gainful employment in order to maintain eligibility for unemployment benefits has not been updated to reflect the proliferation of online resources. Back in the day, you applied for jobs and had interviews and received job offers in person. It was a lot less ambiguous.

I would suggest you do some research into whether the types of solicitations you describe would be considered bona fide job offers. (I think not, but that's just my opinion.) Your state's unemployment agency should have such information available online or by phone.

pattytx

An "offer" would be, Joe, we would like to have you start working for us on XX date, in YY location, for ZZ wages.

Those unsolicited "offers" are merely a "contact us and maybe we'll talk to you" piece of (IMHO) cr@p. I've never heard of anyone getting a decent job that way.

CJane

An "offer" would be, Joe, we would like to have you start working for us on XX date, in YY location, for ZZ wages.

Those unsolicited "offers" are merely a "contact us and maybe we'll talk to you" piece of (IMHO) cr@p. I've never heard of anyone getting a decent job that way.
I agree. I'm on unemployment currently, and receive offers nearly daily for WORK FROM HOME!!! and MAKE $6000/month WITHOUT SELLING!!!! and "Based on your resume on careerbuilder.com, we believe we have a great job opportunity for you. Please call at your earliest convenience"... I delete them all and when I do my reporting, I tell them I haven't turned down any work.

I don't think that's lying for the purposes of reporting... it's not a feasible job opportunity.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
These are not offers of work; they are "opportunities" to investigate. He has not turned down work - he was not offered work. He was offered an opportunity to investigate. He is no more obligated to report these as "turning down work" than he is obligated to report a job listing on Monster.com that he did not apply for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">