• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doucar

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I got ambitious and filed my tax return early for a number of reasons that are not relevant to my question. Basically I filed it before the clarifications on the deduction fo $10,200 of unemployment compensation were completed. I owed a small amount of tax and paid it. The IR website said not to file an amended return because they are overwhelmed. Does that mean they will do it for me and send my refund, or how do I get the appropriate amount filed. To complicate it further I just received a 1099 dividend so it will have to be amended to include that.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I got ambitious and filed my tax return early for a number of reasons that are not relevant to my question. Basically I filed it before the clarifications on the deduction fo $10,200 of unemployment compensation were completed. I owed a small amount of tax and paid it. The IR website said not to file an amended return because they are overwhelmed. Does that mean they will do it for me and send my refund, or how do I get the appropriate amount filed. To complicate it further I just received a 1099 dividend so it will have to be amended to include that.
The IRS just announced today that they will be fixing all of the returns with unemployment compensation on them that need the exclusion of 10,200 of unemployment added. Therefore no one should send an amended return. They will begin fixing the problem and issuing refunds in May. Expect it to take a couple of months (maybe even longer) for them to get to everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">