• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Well, I had to quit my job, We all know basically if you quit, your not eligable. But there are good reasons that are acceptable for exceptions. Domestic violence is one of them,

Is being evicted, and homeless a good reason to quit?

I was evicted due to non pay, because I was in a abuseive relationship (money control) and I quit my jo because I had nowhere to live for 3 weeks until I may have been able to get a place, and one may have become availabe. My boss said he would need to get someone else, so I left the state to leave the abuser, and am staying in my parents place (now I have nothing really to come back to) and I have applied for unemployment, I just want to know the best way to get my situation across to the state workers so I can be accepted, or denied so I dont feel I have to keep trying to get them to understand.

Please help, what do I tell them.

ecmst12

While I congratulate you for having the courage to leave your abuser, this doesn't come close to being a 'good reason' to quit for the purposes of unemployment. The only time you can quit and still get UC is if you can prove you quit due to illegal discrimination or harassment based on a protected characteristic like gender or race. You quit due to stuff in your personal life having nothing to do with your job.

While I congratulate you for having the courage to leave your abuser, this doesn't come close to being a 'good reason' to quit for the purposes of unemployment. The only time you can quit and still get UC is if you can prove you quit due to illegal discrimination or harassment based on a protected characteristic like gender or race. You quit due to stuff in your personal life having nothing to do with your job.

That is very bad news, Thank you :)

ecmst12

If you need help, there are lots of other sources out there. Contact your local womens shelter to start with.

RnsWiffScissors

Actually, if you left your job to protect yourself from abuse, I believe you would be eligible for unemployment benefits in NY (as well as a number of other states). Do you have any documentation that would provide evidence of abuse such as police reports, etc.?

Last edited:

ecmst12

That doesn't even matter because the state where she worked is not the state where she is currently living. You can't file for unemployment in a state you no longer live in, and you can't qualify for benefits if you haven't worked in the state where you NOW live in the past year.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not to mention the fact that it is by no means universal that you can collect benefits if you quit because of domestic abuse. That is very, VERY state AND SITUATION specific.

fairisfair

That doesn't even matter because the state where she worked is not the state where she is currently living. You can't file for unemployment in a state you no longer live in, and you can't qualify for benefits if you haven't worked in the state where you NOW live in the past year.
that is totally NOT true.
Not in New York or in any other state that I am familiar with...but as for New York....

Q: What if I worked in New York State, but live in another state?

A: If you currently live outside of New York State, but all of your work in the last 18 months was in New York State, you may apply for unemployment benefits by calling the Telephone Claims Center at 1-877-358-5306 (toll-free for out-of-state residents) between 8:00am and 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday. If you live in a neighboring state, you may be required to call the toll-free 1-888-209-8124 number to file a claim.

If, in the last 18 months, you worked in both New York State and the state in which you currently live, you must first contact the state in which you live to determine whether you can establish a claim with that state.

RnsWiffScissors

Although OP did not indicate where she lived prior to her relocation to NY, many states consider quitting a job as a result of domestic abuse to be "good cause." To the previous responders, you may want to verify with your own state's practices....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">