• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Overpayment/Fraud Charges - HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msmith24

Yes, I found all this info too. All I can figure out is that this claimant must have refused to acknowledge prior contacts and have been handed over to the collections agency at this time. And since it is a fraud overpayment, no flat out waiver based on income is going to be available to them. But everything I see says they will work with you to set up payment plans and are, as all overpayment units are, more interested in getting back the money than in filling up the jails. There's no reason we know yet why Colorado BPC would choose this particular person to prosecute with no leniency and no willingness to work with him at all. If we're getting the whole story, it shouldn't be happening this way.
thank you for this and your previous post. i know we received a letter in January stating he was overpaid, but we never received a letter stating how much. (i was overpaid on unemployment, however quite a few years ago now, but received two letters: one with the overpayment amount and one just stating i was overpaid.) honestly, i'm not sure whether he actually followed through with contacting them on it, but we had not gotten any further communication until this week. we are working on an appeal for at least some of the penalties back, as could repay the actual overpayment with a loan of a smaller amount and selling some items, but there is just no way we could do the total amount.

i will definitely try to have him call again. we don't want to waive the repayment.. we just want to get it taken care of as best we can. they offered no charges if we paid, so we would like to do that, obviously. and even more obvious, we have no choice but to accept the charges if they offer no other solution - we would just prefer we could resolve it before then!

Proserpina

thank you for this and your previous post. i know we received a letter in January stating he was overpaid, but we never received a letter stating how much. (i was overpaid on unemployment, however quite a few years ago now, but received two letters: one with the overpayment amount and one just stating i was overpaid.) honestly, i'm not sure whether he actually followed through with contacting them on it, but we had not gotten any further communication until this week. we are working on an appeal for at least some of the penalties back, as could repay the actual overpayment with a loan of a smaller amount and selling some items, but there is just no way we could do the total amount.

i will definitely try to have him call again. we don't want to waive the repayment.. we just want to get it taken care of as best we can. they offered no charges if we paid, so we would like to do that, obviously. and even more obvious, we have no choice but to accept the charges if they offer no other solution - we would just prefer we could resolve it before then!

Did he make any attempt to contact them since January?

swalsh411

One of several problems you're going to have trying to get a waiver of the penalty is that it's pretty clear you just sat on it. You knew about the (fraud) overpayment, and did nothing to resolve it. Penalties are a lot easier to get waived if you can show a good faither effort to fix the overpayment. I'm saying don't get your hopes up.

commentator

Well, actually, in a high WBA state like Colorado, $13,000 including penalties isn't a spectacular big amount to have defrauded them by. If he went to work shortly after the whole claim was approved and went on and drew out the whole claim, which most of them do,( they never stop and say, "well that's enough, I have my bills paid." No, they have the classic thief mentality. "This money should be mine anyway, they OWE it to me! My new job doesn't pay as much as my old one did!" ) this is a pretty typical amount he'd have gotten. And the actual amount he could steal this way, unless he was using multiple identities and filing more than one claim is very finite.

Of course it isn't a redetermination overpayment, and because of that, there's no possibility of a waiver.

I was a little suspicious as to the claimant's wife saying, "Well, we were trying to save up the money to repay this." I suspect that they were only doing that after they'd received the decision and were ignoring the contacts from the fraud unit until they had the whole amount collected. (Yeah, sure, we'll come up with it some day, and then we'll answer these people!) If it had been more than 24 months since they were first notified, how they claim they're being treated now makes more sense.

Unlike criminal charges, agency fraud decisions are not something where "talking to the man" and admitting wrongdoing would hurt you in any way. Because they have the concrete recorded proof of what you got, when you got it, how much you were being paid and by whom and for how long. Your motivations for doing it don't matter, whether you're sorry, or whether or not you say you did it or agree that you're guilty is absolutely irrelevant. There's really no negotiation about how much you're going to be charged with stealing and how much your penalties will be. That's all spelled out and formulaic. Unless you have some sort of dramatic proof that the system failed, which happens almost never, or some concrete proof that you are the victim of some other person's criminal actions, there's not much defense.

And if the first contact you make with the agency after you receive the overpayment contact is through an attorney who says my client does not admit this has happened causes two things to be suspected: (1) that this client is really really worried because they have done something really really bad, so we need to dig very deep here and (2) they have too much money anyway since they can afford to hire an attorney right now to work with the fraud unit with them. This is in no way a confused and repentant claimant who stupidly thought they'd get away with it.

It may actually increase the possibility of actual prosecution. There is a certain amount of subjective decision making on the part of the fraud collections system. A person who's already lawyered up and real aggressive about defending himself may just have to try a whole lot harder to be allowed to pay off the money without prosecution and won't get any kind of leniency based on his being poor, stupid or sort of clueless.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow. I truly thought someone would be willing to provide helpful information, or at least ANSWER the question I asked (which was whether or not they could deny payment arrangements, in case you missed that part) not just to be rude!

I UNDERSTAND he is at fault. I never once denied that. ALL i wanted to know was whether they could force an all or nothing situation on us. We attempted to make payment arrangements and were denied. Were denied partial payment. They want payment in full or nothing at all.
Yes they can deny payment arrangements. They can also turn this over the prosecutor and your husband can face trial for felony crimes. While in prison he can think about how badly this decision was.

tranquility

Well, actually, in a high WBA state like Colorado, $13,000 including penalties isn't a spectacular big amount to have defrauded them by.
From an article on unemployment fraud (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/04/states-crack-down-on-unemployment-insurance-fraud/):
Ohio, Colorado, New Jersey, Utah and Georgia have developed a web-based system to share unemployment insurance information with states, multistate employers and others, Ziegler said.

In New Jersey, officials have also come up with a system to kick the newly employed off the jobless benefits rolls faster, Ziegler said. Whenever people show up in the national directory of new hires, they are assigned a code in the unemployment benefits system that flags them if they file for weekly benefits.

Ziegler said these efforts have reduced the average overpayment from $1,200 to $472. He added the average weekly benefit is $305, indicating most abuses are identified within a week and a half.
Although, the article did only mention one prosecution. The person allegedly defrauded the state for $18,992. But, of course, the person said:
"If I was doing something wrong, I wasn't told I was," said Proulx, adding her superiors told her she was eligible to collect unemployment. "I have no idea what's going on. When I called unemployment they didn't want to discuss anything with me. Nobody's letting me know what's going on and what I owe."
Which is why I disagree with you when you write:
Unlike criminal charges, agency fraud decisions are not something where "talking to the man" and admitting wrongdoing would hurt you in any way. Because they have the concrete recorded proof of what you got, when you got it, how much you were being paid and by whom and for how long. Your motivations for doing it don't matter, whether you're sorry, or whether or not you say you did it or agree that you're guilty is absolutely irrelevant. There's really no negotiation about how much you're going to be charged with stealing and how much your penalties will be. That's all spelled out and formulaic. Unless you have some sort of dramatic proof that the system failed, which happens almost never, or some concrete proof that you are the victim of some other person's criminal actions, there's not much defense.
Sure there are defenses. Intent or mens rea is a key to criminal prosecution. While there may be some unemployment fraud statutes that seem cut and dried, I bet all have some intent requirement. Intent is a lot easier to prove when they have the suspect's statements. In Colorado, Colo. Rev. Stat. � 8-81-101(1)(a)...:
� 8-81-101(4)(a)(I), C.R.S. 2005

Any person who has received any sum as benefits under articles 70 to 82 of this title to which he was not entitled shall be required to repay such amount to the division for the fund. Such sum shall be collected in the manner provided in section 8-79-102; except that the division may waive the repayment of an overpayment if the division determines such repayment to be inequitable.

� 8-81-101(4)(a)(II), C.R.S. 2005

If any person receives any such overpayment because of his or her false representation or willful failure to disclose a material fact, inequitability shall not be a consideration in any civil, administrative, or criminal action, and the person shall be required to pay the total amount of the overpayment, which shall be paid into the unemployment trust fund, plus a penalty of fifty percent of such overpayment, which shall be paid into the unemployment revenue fund. In addition, such person may be denied benefits, when otherwise eligible, for a four-week period for each one-week period in which such person filed claims for or received benefits to which he or she was not entitled. The provisions of section 13�"80-108 (9), C.R.S., shall be used for determining when an offense is committed for the purposes of this subparagraph (II).
If you look at I, you see the strict liability and requirement to repay. But, if you look at II (emphasis mine) you see the intent needed. That is just the unemployment fraud, let alone the possibility of computer crimes, theft and forgery possibilities.

Remember people, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. Even if it was only to an unemployment guy at the agency and not the police.

And if the first contact you make with the agency after you receive the overpayment contact is through an attorney who says my client does not admit this has happened causes two things to be suspected: (1) that this client is really really worried because they have done something really really bad, so we need to dig very deep here and (2) they have too much money anyway since they can afford to hire an attorney right now to work with the fraud unit with them. This is in no way a confused and repentant claimant who stupidly thought they'd get away with it.
Um, hmm; yes, you hear that a lot from those who are convicted of crimes. "I only talked to them because I didn't want to look guilty." The problem here (and anytime such a thing is said) is that the OP husband is guilty. Maybe this theft of $13K from the government isn't a big deal and the first level investigator will feel sorry for the poor schlub who has avoided contact for months after being told he's been caught and use his discretion to not turn it over to the DA. Maybe. If not, however, EVERYTHING YOU SAY CAN BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW.

It may actually increase the possibility of actual prosecution. There is a certain amount of subjective decision making on the part of the fraud collections system. A person who's already lawyered up and real aggressive about defending himself may just have to try a whole lot harder to be allowed to pay off the money without prosecution and won't get any kind of leniency based on his being poor, stupid or sort of clueless.
A person who is genuinely stupid and sort of clueless may very well not have the requisite intent to be guilty of a crime. While it is very good to not be charged, it is also good to not be convicted if charged. I guess it gets to a cost/benefit decision. How to increase the chance of not being charged without increasing the chance that, if charged, you are convicted.

Intent is hard. That's why the cops try to get people to talk even when they find them sitting in a stolen car with a screwdriver in the ignition.

Division of Employment & Training v. Industrial Commission, 706 P.2d 433 (Colo. App. 1985)
The Division's contention that intent need not be established is contrary to the holding in Industrial Commission v. Emerson Western Co., 149 Colo. 529, 369 P.2d 791 (1962), which established that in order for the Division to impose penalties upon an employer, pursuant to similar statutory provisions, the employer's intent to falsify must be shown. Further, the use of the word "willful" in the statute indicates that a failure to disclose a material fact must be accompanied by a culpable mental state. Section 18-1-501, C.R.S. (1978 Repl. Vol. 8).

Equally erroneous is the Commission's contention that the requisite culpable mental state is one of "specific intent." This is the highest degree of mental culpability, and proof thereof is normally necessitated only when a statute requires that the proscribed conduct be performed "intentionally" or "with intent." Unlike � 8-81-101(1)(a), C.R.S. (1984 Cum. Supp.) which provides for criminal sanctions where the proscribed conduct is made "with intent to defraud," no indication exists in � 8-81-101(4)(a)(II) that the legislature intended that administrative penalties be imposed only upon proof of the claimant's specific intent.

Receiving benefits by reason of "false representation or willful failure to disclose a material fact," may be analogized to making a "false representation." The case law interpreting the making of a "false representation" requires that the representation be made knowing it to be false or with an awareness that the maker did not know whether it was true or false. Sodal v. French, 35 Colo. App. 16, 531 P.2d 972 (1974), aff'd sub nom. Slack v. Sodal, 190 Colo. 411, 547 P.2d 923 (1976); CJI-Civ 2d 19:1 (1980).

Based on these authorities, the above reasoning, and the applicable statutory language, we conclude that the culpable mental state which must be established by the Division pursuant to � 8-81-101(4)(a)(II) is "knowingly." A person acts "knowingly" with respect to the proscribed conduct "when he is aware that his conduct is of such nature," and a person acts "knowingly" with respect to a result of his conduct when he is aware that his conduct is practically certain to cause the result. Section 18-1-501, C.R.S. (1978 Repl. Vol. 8).

Although we agree with the Division that the Commission required proof of an inappropriate culpable mental state, we do not agree with its further contention that the requisite culpable mental state may be presumed from proof of the act itself. Where, as here, proscribed conduct consists of an act combined with a culpable mental state, the culpable mental state is just as much an element of the proscribed conduct as is the act. Although a culpable mental state may ordinarily be inferred from circumstantial evidence, proof of the commission of the act does not create a presumption that the requisite mental state existed. People v. Braly, 187 Colo. 324, 532 P.2d 325 (1975); Industrial Commission v. Emerson Western Co., supra.

commentator

When you talk to the unemployment fraud worker, you are not talking to the police. You have not been charged with a crime and are not in the legal system at this time. Admission of guilt or remorse or intent is not necessary. It's not even expected. Remember that OP we had here a while back who kept saying the system just mysteriously kept sending her husband checks which he never received, and now he's overpaid? People in the system know, even if she doesn't, that there's no way this happened.

Mens rea or intent are factored in pretty much automatically because every time a person is signed up for a claim, they are carefully given the instructions for certification, told exactly how to report their earnings or beginning to work again, told that there are severe penalties for the deliberate misrepresentation of their situation, and "accidental" misrepresentation. Then if there is something they don't understand or have a question about how to report it, they are encouraged to ask, and the departmental literature on line and workers in the offices will explain it again and again. They sign statements agreeing that they have been told these things and that they understand them. If they were out of their head or in a coma when they did these things, they weren't able and available for work anyhow.

What's that saying about "ignorance is no excuse?" I have seen people come in who were so simple they truly had difficulties with the basic activities of daily living. But even they could not say they had not been told how they were expected to legitimately make these certifications, when they were to stop making them, and that any incorrect answers were considered falsifications. Even if someone else did them for the claimant, the claimant is still responsible if it is his claim. He's signed it every single time that false information was entered, unless fraud and false use of his identity was involved. And in this case, there's still culpability, and someone else may be criminally prosecuted.

Each week that this OP in this discussion filed for his unemployment benefits, he deliberately and distinctly lied in answer to the questions such as "Did you do any work this week for which you have been paid or will be paid?" Those certifications are on record. So what's the point of hiring someone to say, "Oh he didn't understand the questions!" or "He thought if he was making so much less it was okay to keep filing!" for him, while he still insists on making no comment to avoid self incrimination? It isn't going to help him in the system.

The system cross matches and re matches itself. It checks between states more and more these days. It checks hires against records of claimants. More and more "I didn't do it" is not a reasonable defense. If you can figure out some way to show that you didn't know what you were doing when you did what you did, more power to you. My only thought on this, in regard to the woman in New Jersey who said her "superiors" told her she was eligible for unemployment insurance, is that it is remotely possible that the employer was signing her up on a partial unemployment, and they were the ones who were falsifying the information about whether or not she worked or was paid for certain weeks, and all she was doing was signing the forms. That's the only case in which "my superiors told me I was eligible" might be a legitimate excuse or carry any weight about intent. Though her signature on the forms is a bad sign for her story.

Because once she had actually filed a regular claim, not one submitted by the employer, the unemployment system worker would have told her whether or not to file, how unemployment insurance is designed to work and what would be considered a lie or to be fraud, regardless of what a superior who did not work for the agency tried to tell her.

I have actually seen employers who encouraged their employees, their whole staff to sign up on unemployment insurance, giving them the false lack of work lay off paperwork, because they did not understand how the system works and were having trouble making payroll. But this does NOT mean that the employees were off the hook for committing fraud if they did what they were told to do and worked and drew unemployment. They were asked directly, "Did you work?" Yes, you did know what the question meant. You did know it was a lie. You did know you should not do it.

Since there are a lot more of these frauds discovered than are ever prosecuted to the fullest extent, it is very unlikely that a case would be prosecuted if there were the slightest edge of excusability or reason for mercy or especially pitiful or forgivable circumstances involved. Repeat offenders, multiple state offenders, people who are running large scale frauds involving several identities and multiple employers, those are the people who are most likely to be prosecuted.

I will continue to maintain that when you are busted for unemployment fraud, which you almost inevitably will be if you do it, your best move is to respond quickly to their contact, and express your intention to pay the money back. You do not have to admit you did it. You do not expect the police to come to your house and take your to jail immediately. But you should not avoid them or ignore them and you do not need to get a lawyer immediately. Use that money to pay back the overpayment. In most all cases, your situation can be worked out in some way with the agency before you are prosecuted for criminal fraud, even though you may be, can be, would be subject to such prosecution.

Last edited:

tranquility

When you talk to the unemployment fraud worker, you are not talking to the police.
Your statements are being memorialized in some way and they can be used in a court of law against you. It is exactly the same as though you are talking to the police.
Mens rea or intent are factored in pretty much automatically because every time a person is signed up for a claim, they are carefully given the instructions for certification, told exactly how to report their earnings or beginning to work again, told that there are severe penalties for the deliberate misrepresentation of their situation, and "accidental" misrepresentation.
"Factored in" is not the same as being proven beyond a reasonable doubt. As to the rest, the appellate court in Colorado seems to disagree with you.
I will continue to maintain that when you are busted for unemployment fraud, which you almost inevitably will be if you do it, your best move is to respond quickly to their contact, and express your intention to pay the money back. You do not have to admit you did it.
Agreed. They should have responded with I see your notice, I don't have the money, what can I do. I merely said it was better to use a go-between for good and valid reasons. You seem to disagree. Having dealt with a lot of people's tax problems over the years, it is a lot easier to "fix" things when I talk to the IRS and the client doesn't. Many clients, trying to save a few bucks, answers the polite requests from the IRS and find they didn't say things correctly or that they shouldn't have. It is really hard to fix that; and, in most cases it can't be fixed at all. Haven't you ever watched The Godfather II?
http://www.hark.com/clips/gkrcswfcvj-the-family-had-a-lot-of-buffers

Richards4

yes, penalties for unemployment fraud are not the secret. but maybe you can help me with my situation? I have suffered from bank fraud. I received unrecognised charge on my credit card. Three times! Can you imagine? The sum is $30. I am shocked! What should I do? I tried to search for reply in the internet and I only found the site vcharges and I saw that so many people have the similar situation every day, the all claiming on different companies because they take the money unlegally from the credit cards! It is terrible, and I am sure that most of people ado not even try to return money back!!! Any suggestion to such situation?

Last edited:

Proserpina

yes, penalties for unemployment fraud are not the secret. but maybe you can help me with my situation? I am suffered from bank fraud. I received unrecognised charge on my credit card. Three times! Can you imagine? The sum is $30. I am shocked! What should I do? I tried to search for reply in the internet and I only found the site vcharges and I saw that so many people have the similar situation every day, the all claiming on different companies because they take the money unlegally from the credit cards! It is terrible, and I am sure that most of people ado not even try to return money back!!! Any suggestion to such situation?

Please stop necroposting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">