• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

break_bread

Michigan.

I was laid off May 2009 until November 2009 then re-hired in by same company. Now that same company isnt doing too hot at all and may go under soon.

So im wondering what are my options now??? Im not familiar with the guidelines and it seems i get a different answer any Internet Site I try and get information on.

Since I was on Unemployment within the past year, am i eligible for it again. And does not technically being 'laid off' (since its the company going under, not a lay off) are there different guidelines?

Any advice would be very helpful.

pattytx

Your initial claim is good for a year plus possible extensions; if you are unemployed again, you can call and reactivate the same claim.

break_bread

Your initial claim is good for a year plus possible extensions; if you are unemployed again, you can call and reactivate the same claim.
Really? thats interesting. Thanks for helping btw!

So, would they count the past 7 months ive been working as under my intial claim? Or since i was only on Unemployment for 5.5 months i still get 6.5 months on my claim?

commentator

If you filed a new claim in May of 2009, that claim will have a Benefit Year End date all over it that is in May, 2010. If you are laid off before then, you will go on and file and you will probably be on an extension as you have very likely drawn out your weeks of regular unemployment from this claim.

But the week after your BYE (benefit year ending) you will have to file a new claim. If you are not laid off till after this date, you'll be filing a new claim totally. Even if this claim is less than the old claim, even if you'd prefer not to, you will have no choice. This new claim will be based on the first four of the last five quarters. It appears that your claim will be set up on a base period that takes in all of 2009. That's not really good for you, since it appears you will have some bare quarters and will probably qualify for less weeks of regular benefits. (like about 18 instead of 26 by my guess) But the good news is, you'll probably still have extensions to receive after you have drawn out. No way to predict this.

But in Michigan, they do have something you should definitely ask about when you file this new claim. This is the Alternative Base Period. Remember this, because they may not offer you this option, but you can ask and may be able to use the last completed quarter of wages, which would bring in the first quarter of 2010, but would drop off the first quarter of last year, which is also a good completed quarter for you. So it might not even be much of an advantage.

Actually, other than qualifying for perhaps retraining benefits and additional job search services, being out of work because your place of work closes is not much different than being out of work because work is slow. You will no longer be "job attached" to your old job, of course, so you will have to make job searches and be available for job seeking activities as required by the unemployment office, but it doesn't get you any more benefits unless your plant was certified for Trade Readjustment Assistance Act programs. If so, you'll be fully informed by your state, and they'll tell you how to take care of applying for additional benefits.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">