• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment when quitting to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hisbabygirl77

What is the name of your state?AZ
I am preparing to quit my job to move out of state to join my husband. He is currently employed in the other state and we are going to be joining him next month. A co-worker told me that I could get umemployment due to the fact that I am quitting to join him. I think she is wrong since AZ is a right to work state and well I am quitting my job not getting laid off or wrongfully fired. Does anyone know which of us is right? It would be nice to get unemployment until I find another job but it is not something I would count on. If anyone knows I would appreciate some feedback. Thank you

pattytx

I don't know that much about Arizona, but I do know that there are a few states where the trailing spouse reason might qualify. All you can do is file and find out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Disclaimer: For reasons totally unrelated to this board, I am in a particularly cranky mood today. Please take that into consideration in reading my response.

Right to work means you do not have to join a union in order to get work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with unemployment issues. What you mean is that Arizona is an at will state. (So is every other state except Montana, by the way.) But even though Arizona is both a right to work and an employment at will state, neither of those doctrines has anything whatsoever to do with what is and is not covered under unemployment laws.

There are states which do allow benefits if you quit to follow a spouse out of state. However, according to my source, Arizona is not one of them.

Hisbabygirl77

lol thank you for your response I stand corrected. You said you were cranky yet you were still much more polite than many on this site so again thank you for your time. Have a great evening

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, my source is pretty accurate but is a few years out of date. So if you want to, there's no reason you couldn't go ahead and apply anyway. There's no penalty for being wrong so at best you get a happy surprise; at worst they say no, which you're already prepared for anyway.

BelizeBreeze

Disclaimer: For reasons totally unrelated to this board, I am in a particularly cranky mood today. Please take that into consideration in reading my response.
And this is different from any other day HOW? :D

Hisbabygirl77

Damn how come BB flirts with everyone on this board but me. I promise I dont have any warts on my nose or anything like that lol. I am actually kind of cute! sheesh!

I will go ahead and apply since I can just do it online and its not a big pain I know more than likely I wont get it but like you said why not try? Thanks again! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">