• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Union arb

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvJob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ohio

If I get a supeana to be at an arbitration do I have to go?

eerelations

Here you are again (meaning you're all over the place!). While my short answer would be "yes you have got to go" knowing you as I do, I think you probably want more information than that. And to give you more information, I need more information.

So what is this arbitration you've been ordered to appear at? Yours? If so, what's it all about? And why didn't you tell us before that you're unionized and had an active grievance on the table?

nvJob

Thanks eerelations, the short answer will do for this one.

**So what is this arbitration you've been ordered to appear at?**

I didnt say I was. Its just a concern some coworkes have. Specifically the ones that routinely and intentionally comit the same violation in front of and with supv consent.

**Yours? If so, what's it all about?**

Yea, about my discharge under the pretext of a violation which younger, non-disabled coworkes do recieving less discipline and who are even witnessed by several coworkes being allowed to do with no discipline at all. About being intimidated and threatened in front of multiple witnesses into not pursuing my rights under the ADA to request reasonable accomodation, etc., etc..

**And why didn't you tell us before that you're unionized and had an active grievance on the table?**

You must have missed or not yet read that part in my original post. ""#5 04-19-2010, 11:15 PM nvJob. "Also, yes I have filed my first grievance ever against my employer over this.""

eerelations

But still, if you're told to go, you should go, otherwise you'll lose the grievance. Plus you could lose your job over it. (And your coworkers could lose theirs if they don't go.) Plus if the EEOC finds out you treated your arbitration so cavalierly, they may take your EEOC complaint a whole lot less seriously.

So go to the arbitration!!!

And before you start a rash of questions here about arbitration procedures, address them to your union rep first. He's paid to respond, we're not.

nvJob

**A subpoena is issued by a court. Arbitrations are usually handled by mediators, not courts**

So its not required by law, but highly advised, ok. Thats what I wanted to know thanks.

**Plus if the EEOC finds out you treated your arbitration so cavalierly, they may take your EEOC complaint a whole lot less seriously.So go to the arbitration!!!**

Oh I do plan on exhausting all my union rights and procedures. But knowing my union, Im going to have a plan B all ready to go. Plus Im up agaisnt dead lines.

**And before you start a rash of questions here about arbitration procedures, address them to your union rep first. He's paid to respond, we're not.**

I have so far, its like pulling teeth. Ive tried to for some time now, no return calls or contact. Thats my union. We call them Stone Wall I U. The next word will likely be "well our big bosses say we cant win, sorry, btw are your dues caught up,? we can put you on the books for a job that already has 100s of people waiting for."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">