• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

United States Child Support Modification (Child who lives in the Philippines)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

It does now. However, the child and mother never lived in NV, so if he hadn't messed it up, it might not have.

I haven't checked in NV, but in many states, you can obtain the divorce and set the custody and child support issues aside. Then Mom could have filed for custody in child support in whatever state she lived in if she was a U.S. resident. If not, she'd have to file for CS and/or custody in the Phillipines after Dad got the divorce in NV.

In any event, it's too late for any of that. He's stuck paying whatever NV tells him to pay.
Since he is in the military, he might have been stuck with a US child support order anyway. The military is pretty hot on making sure that their service members support their children. However, that doesn't matter either since orders have already been made.

Alex1176

I don't think that you are going to find anyone here who has experienced a case like that, and I have certainly never seen someone get their child support lowered based on the argument that the child lives in another country and doesn't need that much money.

Anybody else seen it happen?
When my wife wanted to go back to her country with the child, I talked to an attorney about it. He said that if I will make a divorce and CS with an american court, I will pay CS according to my income, and not according to the child needs in his new country. Because, it can work both ways. If the child was in Tokyo Japan, and not the Philippines, the expenses are much higher than in average USA city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">