• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unknowingly purchased condemed property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

remyrune

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

Hi all,

I had recently been working with a realtor to purchase a home. Long story short, that didn't work out. I went to the county free and clear auction, hoping to find my potential home. My Oh so wonderfulrealtor ended up with the property I wanted, then rubbed it in that she was going to flip it for a heck of a lot more than she paid. So, in anger, I purchased the last property on the list, not wanting to leave empty handed (can not stress this enough - shame on me!).

I had drove past this property prior to the sale and saw that it needed work.I only saw the outside. I didn't want to tresspass. The work I saw, I was willing to accept. What I didn't know, and learned shortly after the sale was that it had burned in 1981 and the previous owner (now deceased) would only fix one or two boards inside if the township got on him. He had sided over the exterior, so you could not tell that there had been a fire. There is major structural damage to the home and after speaking to the township inspector today, found out it had been condemned many years ago. Apparently the previous owner tore down the notices. The property was not posted, or I would not have bid on it.

Now, they are sending me a letter of condemnation and giving me 90 days to bring it up to code, which the inspector said would be a minimum of $50-60,000. If not, they are going to tear it down and take me to court for between $5-7,000 for the demolition fees. Money I do not have. I am low income. I was looking for something to buy and gradually fix up and live in. I can not afford the repairs this home needs.

What I wanted to know is, is there any way to give the property back to the county? I know that I can not get my money back, and am o.k. with that as long as I don't have to be responsible for the property anymore. Or is there a way to get out of being responsible if they tear it down?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

What I wanted to know is, is there any way to give the property back to the county?
Awww.... the joys of 'flipping' property by the inexperienced!!

Yes, you can return the property to the county.... you just have to get their permission in WRITING first. If you mean is there a way to FORCE the county to take the property.... the answer is no.

Or is there a way to get out of being responsible if they tear it down?
Same answer as before.... get them to sign a 'voluntary demolition' agreement.

nextwife

I work at a bank - we don't even start foreclosure these days without checking condemnation, back property taxes, code orders, physically checking out the property at least from the exterior, and a number of other poetntial risks. A layperson is insane to bid just to bid, with no prior due diligence. We are literally walking away from properties that may cost more than the mortgage loss to make saleable.

HomeGuru

One option would be to demo the home yourself by hiring your own crew at a cheaper cost than what the county would do it for.

remyrune

Thank you for your responses. I just wanted to say that this was not intended to be a "flip" for any kind of profit. I am in a desperate sittuation, living in the housing projects, with a neighbor who does things like kick my front door in on Easter morning because I knocked on the wall to ask him to turn his radio down.
I honestly wanted a house we could make a home. I did not check on condemnation because this was not the property I originally wanted. I had done an exterior check of the house, and it was not posted condemned (another property that was owned by this same man had been, so we avoided it). The previous owner had sided the exterior, so I did not have any clue that it was burned inside. This was a free and clear sale, so all back taxes and liens on the property were forgiven and there was no need to check that.
I have learned my lesson, believe me, I have learned. I'm just trying to find a way to solve the problems now before me, without going deeper in debt or ending up in court.
Again, I thank you for your responses. I will go to the court house Tuesday and see if they are willing to do anything.

Call around to the local fire departments and see if they want to burn it down. They often do this for trainning purposes.

If that doesn't work, go down to the town hall and get a permit for a bon fire or a barbaque!;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">