• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unknown life policy from dad to siblings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnjcantu

What is the name of your state? alabama

my dad was millionaire, and i did not know the name of insurance company. my wicked stepmother claims that he left it all to her, when i know that is not true. he died of liver falure. he died on 1.7.2002, in coma from 12/26/03, will was changed on 12/17/06, leaving his favorite daughter nothing. she is unable to remarry or we get it all, we has reason to believe that she has done just that. also, changed the benficiary to her as the sole collector. what can we do:mad: :mad: :confused:

michelle coonce-cantu

moburkes

mnjcantu said:
What is the name of your state? alabama

my dad was millionaire, and i did not know the name of insurance company. my wicked stepmother claims that he left it all to her, when i know that is not true. he died of liver falure. he died on 1.7.2002, in coma from 12/26/03, will was changed on 12/17/06, leaving his favorite daughter nothing. she is unable to remarry or we get it all, we has reason to believe that she has done just that. also, changed the benficiary to her as the sole collector. what can we do:mad: :mad: :confused:

michelle coonce-cantu
Michelle, you probably want to edit your post. According to your post your father:
died in 2002
was in a coma after his death until 2003
but his will was not changed until December of 2006, which is still 5 months away

When do you think the beneficiary was changed? And if your dad was a millionaire, why is the life insurance policy the only thing that he had left of value that you are contesting?

Dandy Don

You need to have a Louisiana probate attorney (if your father died in Louisiana) to evaluate all of the wills to see whether you have a strong enough case to contest the most recent will (you probably do, since if there is no language to give a specific reason to disinherit the daughter, the case is stronger for undue influence on part of stepmother, and your case is even stronger if you know which attorney helped draft the first will). Only problem is it will be hard for you to find a probate attorney willing to help you contest without wanting to charge about $5,000 or more to defend your case, but keep looking--maybe you'll find one willing to take his cut after you win your judgment.

Your attorney will also need to find out if this stepmother had gotten a signed power of attorney from your father to handle his finances. She could have used the POA to submit to the insurance company to change the beneficiary designation, which in most states that would be illegal. Your attorney should be able to know how to get her to produce the name of the insurance company, and he can also possibly look at your father's medical records on computer to see which insurance companies made inquiries about his health records after he bought the policy and the name of the insurance company might be discovered that way--otherwise he may have to sue to get that information.

Please explain what you mean by a will being changed in December 2006--this statement makes no sense and it makes your post more confusing. Who made this change and why?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

dopp

if the insurance company has her as the sole beneficiary, then unfortunately he approved that before he passed away, the insurance company has no vested interest and therefor would not lie to you about the beneficiary

moburkes

dopp said:
if the insurance company has her as the sole beneficiary, then unfortunately he approved that before he passed away, the insurance company has no vested interest and therefor would not lie to you about the beneficiary
dopp, this thread is almost 2 weeks old, and your information didn't add anything. When, for example, will an insurance company have a vested interest in a life insurance policy? There is no reason for an insurance company to lie. They pay a death benefit when they receive a death certificate. That's what they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">