• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Salary/Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA
I started working for a company in IL in Mar 2000. In Apr. 2001, I moved to CA & was offered a position to work as a contractor for the same company (remotely).
I recevied about 2 months salary from Jan 15 2001 - Apr 1st week 2001.
I started working from CA from Jun 1 2001. I have not received any other payments since then. (I finally quit in Dec. 2004).
I have emails about the promises to pay.
Is there any legal action I can take to make them pay me? :(


Senior Member
You worked without pay for nearly 4 years and NOW you're asking how to get paid? Are you kidding us? :eek:

If you were an employee, you can file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor for unpaid wages. However, the statute of limitations may have already expired. If so, or if you were an independent contractor (did you get a 1099-MISC or a W-2?), you will have to file a civil suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential