• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update: Problem Solved. Vendor vs Manufacturer Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Update: Problem solved. Big thanks to adjusterjack and Taxing Matters for bird-dogging the email contacts I needed. Seems my Google skills aren't as good as I thought they were.

Giant big box electronics store advertises an item stating 1 year manufacturers warranty. Manufacturer is virtually unknown. I purchase product online, it fails. I go to manufacturers website, they specifically state there is no warranty if purchased through this particular Big Box story. (They also do not respond to emails and their phone number is "not set up to receive calls.") Several calls to Big Box customer service and a visit to the store, I'm getting completely shut down. They insist there is a manufacturer's warranty (they even still have it advertised as such) and strangely, they continue to insist that there is no path to escalate the issue, no one else I can talk to, and completely stonewall me. I've searched high and low for contact info for complaints or a higher up, but all you can get is chat agents and the same customer service number. Is there a way I can hold BB accountable, since they sold the product advertising the manufacturers warranty that apparently does not exist? Or should I give up and walk away? Thank you!

Last edited:

adjusterjack

When you opened the box, took the item out of the box, and took out the user manual and/or warranty, what did the warranty say? Quote it word for word.

zddoodah

Giant big box electronics store advertises an item
What sort of item?

Manufacturer is virtually unknown.
Virtually unknown to whom?

I purchase product online, it fails.
Fails how?

I go to manufacturers website, they specifically state there is no warranty if purchased through this particular Big Box story.
Is this consistent or inconsistent with the warranty documentation that was packaged with the item?

Is there a way I can hold BB accountable, since they sold the product advertising the manufacturers warranty that apparently does not exist? Or should I give up and walk away?
How much money is at issue? You're free to file a small claims lawsuit (unless the value of the item exceeds the small claims limit in your unidentified state).

Giant big box electronics store advertises an item stating 1 year manufacturers warranty. Manufacturer is virtually unknown. I purchase product online, it fails. I go to manufacturers website, they specifically state there is no warranty if purchased through this particular Big Box story. (They also do not respond to emails and their phone number is "not set up to receive calls.") Several calls to Big Box customer service and a visit to the store, I'm getting completely shut down. They insist there is a manufacturer's warranty (they even still have it advertised as such) and strangely, they continue to insist that there is no path to escalate the issue, no one else I can talk to, and completely stonewall me. I've searched high and low for contact info for complaints or a higher up, but all you can get is chat agents and the same customer service number. Is there a way I can hold BB accountable, since they sold the product advertising the manufacturers warranty that apparently does not exist? Or should I give up and walk away? Thank you!
When you opened the box, took the item out of the box, and took out the user manual and/or warranty, what did the warranty say? Quote it word for word.
Thanks for this reply, and great question. In the user manual, it states...

"JAXJOX warrants to the original purchaser that your (hereafter referred to as the "Product") shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase.

"If such a defect arises and a request is received by JAXJOX within the applicable Warranty Period, JAXJOX will, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, either (1) repair the Product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, or (2) replace the Product with a new or refurbished Product. In the event of such a defect, to the extent permitted by law, these are your sole and exclusive remedies. Shipping and handling charges may apply except where prohibited by applicable law. This Limited Product Warranty is valid only in the jurisdictions where the Products are sold by JAXJOX itself or through its authorized reseller or agent and is valid to the extent permitted by the applicable laws of such jurisdictions. Any replacement Product will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer, or for any additional period of time that may be required by applicable law."

So I suppose a pertinent question would be whether or not BB is an "authorized reseller" and possibly by whose definition. So I'm not sure where this leaves me.

On JAXJOX's website, on their warranty page, under "Exclusions" is the following:
  • Best Buy customers are not covered under The Limited Warranty and must contact Best Buy Support for replacement needs.
While BB's website, on this product page, is the following:

Warranty
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts
    1 Year Limited
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor
    1 Year Limited

As clear as this contradiction is, I'm amazed that Best Buy isn't eager or even willing to address it.

What sort of item?

Electrically Adjustable Dumbbells (as dumb as that sounds). Product is called Dumbbell Connect mfg. by JAXJOX

Virtually unknown to whom?

To mem. :) And,I'll bet you a beer, to youm. :)

Fails how?

Stopped changing weights. I ran through all their troubleshooting videos. It occasionally does change, and when it does you can hear gears grinding.

Is this consistent or inconsistent with the warranty documentation that was packaged with the item?

Please see my reply to adjusterjack. The question could be whether or not BB is an "authorized reseller."

How much money is at issue? You're free to file a small claims lawsuit (unless the value of the item exceeds the small claims limit in your unidentified state).
I'm in Arizona and it was just a couple hundred bucks.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Is there a way I can hold BB accountable, since they sold the product advertising the manufacturers warranty that apparently does not exist? Or should I give up and walk away? Thank you!
From the additional information you provided it appears that the retailer is providing false or misleading information. That being the case, I'd make a complaint with your state's consumer protection agency and with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If they don't resolve it in a reasonable time I'd consider going to small claims court for this. My guess is that the big retailer won't want to spend the bucks to defend such a small case and may just agree to fix it to get this to go away.

Since the warranty excludes sales from the Big Box store, you want to:
1) Take screenshots of the advertising that this brand has a warranty.
2) Call corporate and say: "According to the terms of the warranty you advertise, Big Box is responsible for the repair or replacement of the item."
3) Email corporate with screenshots of the advertising and a scan of the warranty, and tell them what the warranty says.
4) If none of those work, and you purchased with your credit card, try asking your credit card for help -they may reverse the charge.
5) You can always try blasting big box store on social media.

Unfortunately, there is not an easy button.

EDIT: Taxing Matters has a much better solution above.

From the additional information you provided it appears that the retailer is providing false or misleading information. That being the case, I'd make a complaint with your state's consumer protection agency and with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If they don't resolve it in a reasonable time I'd consider going to small claims court for this. My guess is that the big retailer won't want to spend the bucks to defend such a small case and may just agree to fix it to get this to go away.
Thank you! Much appreciated!

Since the warranty excludes sales from the Big Box store, you want to:
1) Take screenshots of the advertising that this brand has a warranty.
2) Call corporate and say: "According to the terms of the warranty you advertise, Big Box is responsible for the repair or replacement of the item."
3) Email corporate with screenshots of the advertising and a scan of the warranty, and tell them what the warranty says.
4) If none of those work, and you purchased with your credit card, try asking your credit card for help -they may reverse the charge.
5) You can always try blasting big box store on social media.

Unfortunately, there is not an easy button.

EDIT: Taxing Matters has a much better solution above.
Thanks for the reply! The big sticking point is I can find no way to contact BB corporate. No complaint number, nothing - all roads I've explored lead back to the same customer service number, and they remain steadfast that there's absolutely no way to escalate the matter. Even when I asked if my only recourse is to get an attorney involved, I get a blank stare. Again, I'm really surprised at this. But yes, I think I'll follow Taxing Matters advice. Thanks again!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Here is the page that shows the senior exectives of the company. And here you'll find the corporate headquarters address and a lot of other company information. That second link takes you to one of the company's Form 10-K filings, which they must provide quarterly to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). All those filings are public information. Note that much of what is on there is irrelevant to your situation; it is of concern mostly to investors. But fortunately the address of the company headquarters is provided at the top of part of the report, so you won't have dig through all the other stuff to find it.

Here is the page that shows the senior exectives of the company. And here you'll find the corporate headquarters address and a lot of other company information. That second link takes you to one of the company's Form 10-K filings, which they must provide quarterly to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). All those filings are public information. Note that much of what is on there is irrelevant to your situation; it is of concern mostly to investors. But fortunately the address of the company headquarters is provided at the top of part of the report, so you won't have dig through all the other stuff to find it.
Thank you! Problem solved!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">