• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT!! Videographer Needs contract advice!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandy Don

What connection does this person have with the university?

Have you done business with this person in the past and how did this person know about you?

This deal is not a normal deal and there are deficiencies in it that work against you.

Have you asked the person or the university how they intend to use the product that you are providing for them? Is it going to be used as a television commercial to attract new students or a video that is posted on their website? Maybe you could suggest that they allow you to include a mention at the end of the video that shows "Video Prepared by Your Company Name" that might lead to future business to you from viewers who like the video?

Ask them to provide the names of at least 2 business references of companies they have done business with in the past and then ask if payment was prompt or on time and is there any reasons for dissatisfaction when dealing with this institution?

Is being paid one-half upfront going to bel enough to pay for materials/supplies you have already used and also be enough for you to profit on your labor (just in case they decide to not pay the other half), or shouldn't you be asking for 3/4ths of an upfront payment? That stipulation about an upfront payment should actually be in the contract and not be part of a later communication that appears to be outside of the contract.

There is no way you should be waiting 30 days to receive final payment for your work. If this is a large university they should be able to be financially stable enough to pay you within 3 days of your delivering the final product to them and that is what you should also stipulate in the contract.

Bottom line is that to protect your own financial interest and other concerns, you should be consulting with your business law attorney to negotiate this contract to a successful resolution.

quincy

Although it is fine to question a client and to negotiate terms of a contract - and (arguably) there should be a certain amount of this before accepting any job - one also has to be careful not to question and negotiate oneself out of the job entirely. The client generally has other people to consider for the job. You don't have that luxury.

quincy

@quincy & @Dandy Don

Thank you both so much for all the advice. I have learned that I need to better prepare myself with my own legal documents for future instances.
We both appreciate the thanks, papa_Z, so thank you.

If you have the opportunity to post back, we'd be interested in hearing what happens with your videography project.

Good luck.

papa_Z

We both appreciate the thanks, papa_Z, so thank you.

If you have the opportunity to post back, we'd be interested in hearing what happens with your videography project.

Good luck.
I signed the contract as is and I will update as things develop :)

Thanks again!

quincy

I signed the contract as is and I will update as things develop :)

Thanks again!
You're welcome, papa_Z. :)

I imagine you will be okay with the contract as worded. The terms did not seem out of the ordinary.

We will keep your thread warm for you while we await your return. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">