• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Airways cancelled my tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kris_PL

Hello everyone!

I hope you could help me with my case (I am from Poland hence I don’t know US regulations very well):

During my holidays in United States I bought airplane tickets from US Airlines for the total amount of 303,20$. Transaction took place at 10th August 2014. Couple days later I found out that I have an additional 303,20$ blocked on my account (after this purchase I lost 606,4$ instead of 303,2$). I called my bank and got information that there were two charging notes (debit notes) from American company (US airways itself or its intermediary managing transactions), each for 303,2$, but only one was confirmed (as a valid transaction). As a result I paid for the tickets as I should, but I couldn’t use the rest of my money for 30 days. My bank did not have authorization to release my funds (they keep funds blocked for verification for 30days) so I wrote to US Airways using “refund request” form. I described the situation and ask US Airways to withdraw second note that I could get my money back and use it for travelling.

My struggle was unsuccessful and I recovered my previously blocked money after 30days on 10th September.

On 3rd September I went to the airport, waited 14 hours and then tried to check in. What was my surprise when it turned out that my tickets were cancelled and there is no way I can fly to my destination point (in the end I spent 700$ for new tickets, not from US Airlines). When I contacted US airways I was told that the tickets were refunded and my money is back. However, my tickets were bought as non-refundable and I didn’t get any money. I assume that tickets were cancelled automatically after sending refund request (no one read the description?), but now they don’t want to give my money back even though I didn’t give up the tickets in the first place.

I contacted my bank in order to receive some evidence that they sent debit note twice, I’m still waiting for the answer. I have also sent many emails to US Airways trying to clear it up, but it was only waste of my time. Now I also try to get my initial message (description of the case in the refund request) that I could quote it later (I didn't get the copy or any kind of confirmation that I submitted the form).

In their refund rules there is a statement: “The refundable portion may be eligible for a refund, but if you request a refund online, you will lose any non-refundable value.” I have to admit I do not recall seeing that when I used this form, is there any chances to get money back (due to the fact I didn’t ask about refund even though I used the form)?

Is there any “expiration date” for my claim? Something like “end of the fiscal year”?

Any advice what to do next? Do I have the basis to put a claim? If they did not give my money back, can I try to solve it with consumer court? In fact I’m even able to pay for a lawyer, just to prove my point (I has been treated as an idiot), however I hope I can solve it by myself.

Thanks in advance for any kind of advices.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">