• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US copyright registration update

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dantren9101

Hello,
About 10 months ago I registered in the US copyright office pdf presentations for an online course I plan to do (a book might also be considered). Now I have updated these presentations and also made video clips for them.

Registration update:
  1. How can I update the original copyright registration, so the new update will be protected as well ?
  2. Does it cost money, or is it something I am entitled to do for free as part of the original registration?

Pdf presentations vs its video:
  1. Do registered pdf presentations protect the videos as well (the videos use the presentations + my voice + comments) ?
  2. Should I also add the videos as part of the registration?
  3. Should I add the voice comments (which I also have as pdf files) to the registration as pdf files ?
What is the name of your state? international (non US)

Just Blue

Hello,
About 10 months ago I registered in the US copyright office pdf presentations for an online course I plan to do (a book might also be considered). Now I have updated these presentations and also made video clips for them.

Registration update:
  1. How can I update the original copyright registration, so the new update will be protected as well ?
  2. Does it cost money, or is it something I am entitled to do for free as part of the original registration?

1. Do registered pdf presentations protect the videos as well (the videos use the presentations + my voice + comments) ?
  3. Should I add the voice comments (which I also have as pdf files) to the registration as pdf files ?
What is the name of your state? international (non US)
One thread is all that is necessary per topic. Please, keep all questions to this thread regarding your copyright issues. Thanks...

quincy

You will want to check the copyright laws in your country and the other countries where you will be publishing your work. You can use the WIPO link provided in your other thread to find the appropriate registration requirements.

In the US, you can register any updates/changes/modifications to your original work and get a new copyright date for the latest (updated/changed/modified) works.

Here is a link to the US Copyright Office on registering works. There is a small ($35) fee for each registration.
https://www.copyright.gov/fls/sl35.pdf

Last edited:

Dantren9101

Thanks. United states is the main country I would like to publish my work.
Could you help me with my other questions:

quincy

Thanks. United states is the main country I would like to publish my work.
Could you help me with my other questions:

You can register your original work and you can also register any derivative works. A derivative work is a modification of the original.

For example: You write a book and register it. You then translate the book into a different language. That translation is a derivative and can be registered. You add a new chapter to your book. That can also be registered.

There is a place on the registration form where you indicate if the work is a derivative.

The US Copyright Office offers good step-by-step instructions for filling out registration forms and has online assistance. You can visit the Copyright Office website for additional information: https://www.copyright.gov

I provided a link earlier on registration information.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">