• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Work Visas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clau182

What is the name of your state? MA, My brother’s fiancée has been working as a Cook for about 8 years, in two different big Companies in Brazil. She has a lot of experience and good references but she does not have any kind of degree. I don’t think she has even finished high school.
So we would like to know if there is any possibility for this person to get either an immigrant or a non immigrant work visa if sponsored by a fast food restaurant here. She has never been to the US.
If there is a possibility, could you please tell us, how long would the process take and about how much money would it cost us, including legal fees?
Thank you so much!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think it is quite unlikely. Work visas are generally reserved for those individuals who have skills or education that is unique - for which a US worker cannot be found to do the same job. There is no shortage of fast food workers, or even cooks.

Clau182

Thank you for your answer. But, It is a pity that Cooks with a lot of experience are not elegible for a Visa because we actually own two restaurants in MA and it has been very hard to find employees that can legally work in the US, let alone US citizens.

LdiJ

Thank you for your answer. But, It is a pity that Cooks with a lot of experience are not elegible for a Visa because we actually own two restaurants in MA and it has been very hard to find employees that can legally work in the US, let alone US citizens.
Talk to an immigration attorney. If the restaurants are mom and pop type restaurants that sell specialty or ethnic foods it might be possible to sponsor her if she can add to that. Otherwise your brother should probably just sponsor her for a fiancée visa since they are planning to marry anyway.

Clau182

Hi, thank you for your answer, too! Yes, they are mom and pop restaurants, and I will contact a lawyer ASAP. Unfortunately, my brother also lives in Brazil and is not a permanent resident.

LdiJ

Hi, thank you for your answer, too! Yes, they are mom and pop restaurants, and I will contact a lawyer ASAP. Unfortunately, my brother also lives in Brazil and is not a permanent resident.
Then why do you want to bring his fiancée here? Are you planning on sponsoring him as well?

Clau182

Well, we really do need employees and having somebody we can trust would be much better. Besides, I think if they got married my brother would also be eligible for a visa. Otherwise, our mother is a Permanent resident so she can actually apply for an immigrant visa for him, but that takes quite a while.

LdiJ

Well, we really do need employees and having somebody we can trust would be much better. Besides, I think if they got married my brother would also be eligible for a visa. Otherwise, our mother is a Permanent resident so she can actually apply for an immigrant visa for him, but that takes quite a while.
Again, get a consult with an immigration attorney.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Who in the US would be sponsoring these visas? It will NOT be a fast food restaurant or any other type of employer. Is there a family member or friend that will be doing so? Otherwise, see my first response. You will NOT get an employer-sponsored visa regardless of what type of restaurants they are.

t74

This is not a reason for not hiring an American citizen or legal resident.

LdiJ

Who in the US would be sponsoring these visas? It will NOT be a fast food restaurant or any other type of employer. Is there a family member or friend that will be doing so? Otherwise, see my first response. You will NOT get an employer-sponsored visa regardless of what type of restaurants they are.
I have to disagree with you. I successfully sponsored a cook from Italy when I owned my restaurant, and I did so as an employer, not as an individual.

Clau182

This is not a reason for not hiring an American citizen or legal resident.
Well, as I mentioned before it has been really difficult to find legal US workers willing to work in the restaurant business lately, mainly reliable ones, that is the main reason why we are thinking about sponsoring someone from abroad and since there’s a person I know that would be a great fit for the company, I really would like it for us to able to do so.

Clau182

I have to disagree with you. I successfully sponsored a cook from Italy when I owned my restaurant, and I did so as an employer, not as an individual.
Did you sponsor this cook for an immigrant or a non immigrant work visa? And was this person already in the US? It would really help me to have this information. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">