• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility Easment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for telling us the name of your state. Now, if you explain a bit more about what's going on, you'll be able to get a better answer.

A gentleman named NK knocked on my door a couple of weeks ago. He wanted a utility easement on my property. He said he'd be returning in a week with all the proper legal documents and compensation. He hasn't been able to get his paperwork in order so he hasn't been back. Today a contract company doing the vegetation work wanted to come on my property with a trachoe. Do they have any rights to do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A gentleman named NK knocked on my door a couple of weeks ago. He wanted a utility easement on my property. He said he'd be returning in a week with all the proper legal documents and compensation. He hasn't been able to get his paperwork in order so he hasn't been back. Today a contract company doing the vegetation work wanted to come on my property with a trachoe. Do they have any rights to do this?
Tell them no.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No. No, they do not have the right to trespass.

Unless and until there is an easement, you have the right to kick the trespassers off of your property.

LdiJ

Does a right of way change

Does a right of way change when land owner s change?
A right of way would normally stay in place no matter how many times ownership of property changed. What is the backstory on your question about a right of way?

A right of way would normally stay in place no matter how many times ownership of property changed. What is the backstory on your question about a right of way?

My question is pertaining to my earlier post about the utility easement. Do I accept the first offer they make or should I ask for more? The only reason I feel that the offer was not enough is because they have begun work on the right of way next to my house and its way more of an inconvenience than Mr. Knight explained to me. I also want stipulations such as the schedule they'll be keeping, going over the three months they plan to be here. If they break contract Id like some type of fine so they'll have incentive to get it done and get gone. Also the easement will be going through my garden and possibly my chicken coop. This is affecting my food source now. I purchase as little food products as I can from the grocer as they are filled with all types of things I have no clue what are.

quincy

You do not have to accept the first offer made. You can negotiate for greater compensation.

Which utility is requesting this easement?

Have you signed any documents yet?

I suggest you speak to an attorney in your area who can visit your property to see where in relation to your house the easement will be and what Mr. Knight is expecting of you.

Good luck.

bcr229

Is this a temporary or a permanent easement? I can't imaging that a utility easement is temporary as the company will need future access for maintenance, repairs, or upgrades if necessary.

If permanent you will have to remove structures like the chicken coop from the easement so as not to block their access.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">