• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Education benefits - separation code question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hrankow

California

K, so does anyone know when applying for VA Education Benefits for the Post 9/11 bill, how to prove discharge from service due to service connected disability? I have reviewed all the separation codes, and cannot seem to find a NAVY separation code that indicated "discharged due to service connected disability". I have a 10% service connected disability determined by the Veterans Administration, and I receive a 10% disability compensation. I have the award letter and have included that in my previous application. Not to get into the whole history of my enlistment, but I had 10 months of active duty service. According to the information on applying for the VA education benefits, based on my service connected disability and a minimum of 30 days of active duty service I should qualify. However, I have been denied because they indicated that just because I receive disability compensation for 10% and it is service connected does not mean that was what I was discharged for. But, it was the reason I was discharged, but there is no code that I know of that would say that. The education benefit dept said that it would need to be indicated on my dd214 that I was discharged due to a service connected disability. I told her what code is that and she could not provide it to me. Anyone who could maybe help or provide any info on how to move forward it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Oh, my service is honorable also.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
California

K, so does anyone know when applying for VA Education Benefits for the Post 9/11 bill, how to prove discharge from service due to service connected disability? I have reviewed all the separation codes, and cannot seem to find a NAVY separation code that indicated "discharged due to service connected disability". I have a 10% service connected disability determined by the Veterans Administration, and I receive a 10% disability compensation. I have the award letter and have included that in my previous application. Not to get into the whole history of my enlistment, but I had 10 months of active duty service. According to the information on applying for the VA education benefits, based on my service connected disability and a minimum of 30 days of active duty service I should qualify. However, I have been denied because they indicated that just because I receive disability compensation for 10% and it is service connected does not mean that was what I was discharged for. But, it was the reason I was discharged, but there is no code that I know of that would say that. The education benefit dept said that it would need to be indicated on my dd214 that I was discharged due to a service connected disability. I told her what code is that and she could not provide it to me. Anyone who could maybe help or provide any info on how to move forward it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Oh, my service is honorable also.
Did you go through a MEB?

adjusterjack

The education benefit dept said that it would need to be indicated on my dd214 that I was discharged due to a service connected disability. I told her what code is that and she could not provide it to me. Anyone who could maybe help or provide any info on how to move forward it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Oh, my service is honorable also.
The first and most important thing I suggest you do is order a complete copy of your military service records, medical and otherwise.

Note that you might be able to get them in a hurry with an emergency request if you are trying to enroll in the fall term.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Do that tonight. It's easy.

Once you get those records, scan them to your computer and preserve the documents forever.

There may be something in them that documents your discharge that you can present to the "education benefit department" that will convince them.

If that doesn't work, there may be a way of amending your DD214 to reflect that you were discharged for a service connected disability. Contact the following resource for the how to but get your records anyway.

http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/bcnr/Pages/home.aspx

If you haven't done so already, make sure you apply for VA health benefits. Your VA ID card should say service connected disability on it.

Feel free to come back to this thread and report your progress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">