• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA State tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

profbodryak

I realized that I still did not file for 2008. And I owe for it. What will happen? I am going to call Tuesday when they reopen. What am I risking? I am not trying to evade but I simply just forgot.

pattytx

File and pay NOW. You will be charged interest for any taxes still due (not withheld or otherwise already paid) and a penalty for late filing. If you cannot pay all of what you may owe now, pay as much as you can and see if they'll do an installment agreement for the rest.

How does someone forget to file their state tax return? :confused:

profbodryak

Oh God... don't even ask. I got no excuse for that. Never done it before and never will again. I was reading up on it and there's all the sorts of things on their website that say about civil and criminal penalties. Should I be concerned about it? I owe no more than 400 on the 2008.

LdiJ

Oh God... don't even ask. I got no excuse for that. Never done it before and never will again. I was reading up on it and there's all the sorts of things on their website that say about civil and criminal penalties. Should I be concerned about it? I owe no more than 400 on the 2008.
You should be concerned enough to get the return filed and at least the 400.00 paid ASAP. However, you are not going to face any criminal penalties over 400.00. What you are going to be facing is monetary penalties and interest, and the longer you let it go on, the worse it will get.

So get it filed and paid immediately.

LdiJ

File and pay NOW. You will be charged interest for any taxes still due (not withheld or otherwise already paid) and a penalty for late filing. If you cannot pay all of what you may owe now, pay as much as you can and see if they'll do an installment agreement for the rest.

How does someone forget to file their state tax return? :confused:
It works like this....they do free file for their federal return, and then find some other way to do their state return, discover they owe money, and then decide to wait. Then they forget. They may remember and forget again, and then may bury their head in the sand.

I have actually seen quite a few people do that. They end up coming to me to file their state return and end up paying almost as much as they would have had to pay if I had just done both for them.

Of course that varies from state to state, but in my state I have to do a complete federal return in order to do a state return...the figures intertwine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">