• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

validity of a foreign, extrajudicial divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeangrey44

My current husband was first married to a Japanese citizen in Japan and was divorced there also. There are three types of divorce in Japan. His divorce was a "divorce by mutual consent", in which both parties simply agree to be divorced, fill out a form, and then register their agreement with a local city hall. I have been told by a lawyer that this type of divorce is not considered valid in many parts of the US. It involved no lawyers, judges, nor decrees.

I would like an annullment of my marriage, based on the invalidity of his first divorce. I am a resident of California. We have been married less than two years, and have been separated for about six months. Do you think I have a chance of obtaining an annullment? And, what would be the least expensive way to do so? Is it complicated and would I have to go to court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">