• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Accident Law Suit - Requirements??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acvegasUSA

State Vehicle Accident Occurred: NEVADA

Two years ago, I was a driver for a HUGE large tourist hotel resort here in Nevada which I no longer work for. I have not worked for the hotel resort for over two years. Before leaving I got into a minor fender bender vehicle accident driving the hotel resort vehicle. No one was physically hurt ….no ambulance showed up or no one asked for one. On the police showed up. I was issued a driving ticket the other driver was not issued a ticket. Only minor vehicle damage to my company’s vehicle and the other driver vehicle (back rear tail light knocked out) ….and a small dent on the other driver’s vehicle was caused by my driving. Again, it’s been over two years and now the driver of the vehicle I hit while working for the hotel resort is trying to sue the hotel resort for a huge sum via me. Note: The hotel resort I was working for has their own insurance attorney representing this case and representing me.

My Question members of the forum here:

1. If this civil case (money lawsuit) goes to trial for any reason ….am I required by law to appear in civil court when the Hotel Resort Attorneys are already there on my behalf and the Hotel Resort behalf?

2. If I have to go to civil court or volunteer my time in court to testify on the behalf of the insurance attorneys representing the hotel resort. Since I no longer work for the hotel resort, how do I get (or demand) the hotel resort to pay for lost time (lost wages, gas, traveling cost, etc.) for going to meetings, court, trial, etc.? I already know I can request in writing for this to the actual hotel resort. But is the hotel resort required to assist me with such cost? And if the hotel resort refuses to pay for lost time (lost wages, gas, traveling cost, etc.) for going to meetings, court, trial, etc. How do I force them to do so? What are my options? I am a little confused on how this works or if it is possible.

END

Just Blue

State Vehicle Accident Occurred: NEVADA

Two years ago, I was a driver for a HUGE large tourist hotel resort here in Nevada which I no longer work for. I have not worked for the hotel resort for over two years. Before leaving I got into a minor fender bender vehicle accident driving the hotel resort vehicle. No one was physically hurt ….no ambulance showed up or no one asked for one. On the police showed up. I was issued a driving ticket the other driver was not issued a ticket. Only minor vehicle damage to my company’s vehicle and the other driver vehicle (back rear tail light knocked out) ….and a small dent on the other driver’s vehicle was caused by my driving. Again, it’s been over two years and now the driver of the vehicle I hit while working for the hotel resort is trying to sue the hotel resort for a huge sum via me. Note: The hotel resort I was working for has their own insurance attorney representing this case and representing me.

My Question members of the forum here:

1. If this civil case (money lawsuit) goes to trial for any reason ….am I required by law to appear in civil court when the Hotel Resort Attorneys are already there on my behalf and the Hotel Resort behalf?

2. If I have to go to civil court or volunteer my time in court to testify on the behalf of the insurance attorneys representing the hotel resort. Since I no longer work for the hotel resort, how do I get (or demand) the hotel resort to pay for lost time (lost wages, gas, traveling cost, etc.) for going to meetings, court, trial, etc.? I already know I can request in writing for this to the actual hotel resort. But is the hotel resort required to assist me with such cost? And if the hotel resort refuses to pay for lost time (lost wages, gas, traveling cost, etc.) for going to meetings, court, trial, etc. How do I force them to do so? What are my options? I am a little confused on how this works or if it is possible.

END
1. You would be foolish to not be there. Really, REALLY foolish.

2. You gotta be kidding! You cause an accident that the resort is now being sued for, and you think they should pay you for attending the trial? Are you on drugs?

PayrollHRGuy

There may come a time during this that your interests and the hotel's interest are not the same.

Until and unless you are dismissed from the suit you would be a fool not to be involved all the way through.

If the attorney is not trying to get you dismissed from the suit they are not working in your best interest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with what was posted above. The insurance attorney is working for the best interest of his client (your former employer). He is representing those best interests while working with you so long as those interests align. Once those interests diverge (if they do), then he will no longer (and can no longer) represent you. Your best option is to have your own attorney.

acvegasUSA

1. You would be foolish to not be there. Really, REALLY foolish.

2. You gotta be kidding! You cause an accident that the resort is now being sued for, and you think they should pay you for attending the trial? Are you on drugs?
It's not being foolish. The incident occurred two years ago. My reason's for not being there would be for my own welfare (financial and personal medical issues).

Let's not jump to conclusions. What I am asking you (by law) am I required to be there in civil court with a Yes or No .....and nothing else. Thank You.

Zigner

I see now - you just plan to blow this off and want permission to do so. Not gonna happen.

acvegasUSA

I see now - you just plan to blow this off and want permission to do so. Not gonna happen.
Which part of my question don't you clearly or refuse to clearly understand ....it's pertaining to "my own welfare (financial and personal medical issues)". I did not say I am going to blow ANYthing off ....I am just asking a question.

Zigner

Which part of my question don't you clearly or refuse to clearly understand ....it's pertaining to "my own welfare (financial and personal medical issues)". I did not say I am going to blow ANYthing off ....I am just asking a question.
Oh, good - it would be a foolish thing to just blow this off.

Now, to ask you...what part of the responses don't you clearly or refuse to clearly understand?

PayrollHRGuy

No, you don't have to go. If you aren't there a default judgment or just a bad deal made by the lawyer can be entered against you. That would cause significant financial issues for you.

acvegasUSA

No, you don't have to go. If you aren't there a default judgment or just a bad deal made by the lawyer can be entered against you. That would cause significant financial issues for you.
Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. PayrollHRGuy - you got right to the point without the bull. Again, thanks for your helpful answer.

Zigner

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. PayrollHRGuy - you got right to the point without the bull. Again, thanks for your helpful answer.
That's the same answer you received in the first (and subsequent) replies.

PayrollHRGuy

I'm sorry you took my second answer so well because I think it means you only read the part you wanted to hear and not the part where you could really screw up by not being involved.

acvegasUSA

I'm sorry you took my second answer so well because I think it means you only read the part you wanted to hear and not the part where you could really screw up by not being involved.
Not really (so-to-speak). Your second answer got quickly directly to my answer with a Yes or No. And was short and sweet. Sweet meaning: clearly well written for the novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">