• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement between two parties.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Michigan.
I recently entered into a verbal agreement with a young woman to purchase a vehicle from her. She is 17 and living with a non-parent, non-gaurdian. Basically she is living with her friends mother, whom I have known for 30 years. This is how I came to meet this young lady. The agreement was to allow me to make payments on the vehicle which were set to begin this coming Friday, May 17, 2019. On Monday, the woman who introduced me to the girl , saw the vehicle on the he side of the road and assumed it had been abandoned. However, my daughter and I were mushroom hunting and the vehicle was legally parked on township land. The woman took the vehicle and drove it to her home. After leaving my daughter with my my parents, I went looking for the vehicle and was picked up by the woman who took it. An argument took place and I was told that if I wanted the vehicle back, I need to pay at least 50% of the sale price. I have two questions. First, can this woman be prosecuted for auto theft? She has nothing to do with with the deal and her name is not on the title or anything like that. Secondly, can I regain possession of the vehicle under the previously agreement? I feel like the young woman shouldn't be able to alter the verbal contract like that. Thank you for any insight.

quincy

You do not own the car.

You do not have title, have not made payments, and have nothing in writing to show any agreement was made to purchase the car.

Neither oral nor written contracts with minors (those under the age of 18) are legally binding (with few exceptions).

You do not own the car.

You do not have title, have not made payments, and have nothing in writing to show any agreement was made to purchase the car.

Neither oral nor written contracts with minors (those under the age of 18) are legally binding (with few exceptions).
I was in possession of the vehicle. And I do have text messages acknowledging the agreement. The vehicle is titled in the minors name. Does this not hold her responsible for any contracts or agreements associated with the sale of the vehicle, regardless of her age?

I was in possession of the vehicle. And I do have text messages acknowledging the agreement. The vehicle is titled in the minors name. Does this not hold her responsible for any contracts or agreements associated with the sale of the vehicle, regardless of her age?
I have not made a payment yet. I did however spend roughly $175 to get the vehicle running after I took possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">