• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verichek filed "Theft of Service" criminal complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Kind of like she never knew that she ran in to that guy, right? It is not unreasonable to expect that people will reconcile their account.

Fair enough
A lot of people do not reconcile their account these days because they do most of their banking online and everything happens in real time these days. I very rarely have the need to reconcile my account. I do watch out for the odd thing here and there that I know won't happen in real time, but those kinds of things are rare for me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A lot of people do not reconcile their account these days because they do most of their banking online and everything happens in real time these days. I very rarely have the need to reconcile my account. I do watch out for the odd thing here and there that I know won't happen in real time, but those kinds of things are rare for me.
That's fine - but when you write a check, it's not real time. I have two accounts - one I use for my day-to-day items. I haven't reconciled that in a decade for the very reason that you state. However, the account I use for my bills, I keep track of very closely. That way, I can know when something clears and mark it off the list. It's not exactly reconciling, but it is definitely monitored.

LdiJ

That's fine - but when you write a check, it's not real time. I have two accounts - one I use for my day-to-day items. I haven't reconciled that in a decade for the very reason that you state. However, the account I use for my bills, I keep track of very closely. That way, I can know when something clears and mark it off the list. It's not exactly reconciling, but it is definitely monitored.
I guess that I monitor my account to some level as well. However, as I said, with the exception of some odd things here and there the bank debits my account basically as soon as I order the payment to be made (I don't have a checkbook, I pay everything either with a debit card or through my banks electronic system) so I basically cannot bounce a check, or almost cannot bounce a check.

Zigner

I guess that I monitor my account to some level as well. However, as I said, with the exception of some odd things here and there the bank debits my account basically as soon as I order the payment to be made (I don't have a checkbook, I pay everything either with a debit card or through my banks electronic system) so I basically cannot bounce a check, or almost cannot bounce a check.
I have several items set for auto-pay and I monitor the account to make sure the payment posts to my account, just to avoid such problems.

Having said that, the fact is that the bank notifies the account holder when a check is returned for NSF. The OP was on notice about this and her claims otherwise are disingenuous.

I have several items set for auto-pay and I monitor the account to make sure the payment posts to my account, just to avoid such problems.

Having said that, the fact is that the bank notifies the account holder when a check is returned for NSF. The OP was on notice about this and her claims otherwise are disingenuous.
Like I stared above my bank account was compromised and any checks returned were waived and I wasn't notified.

Zigner

Appropriate monitoring of your account would have prevented this, as would have notifying the bank of the checks that actually were valid.

When the fraud alert was put on the account they stopped everything from going through that's why I was never charged a fee and therefore didn't know. When my water account showed the payment cleared I didn't take further action.

Zigner

Your BANK never showed it as cleared.
I'm done on this - I understand where you're coming from, but disagree about your inability to have realized it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok, then you are going to have to base your defense on the fact that you never knew that your payment to the utility company bounced, that no one ever asked you to replace the payment or notified you that the check had bounced and that you never heard anything at all about it until you got the criminal complaint. You would also point out that the utility says your account is in good standing. I would still contact a criminal defense attorney and not try to handle it on your own or with a public defender.
Why not with a public defender?

Your BANK never showed it as cleared.
I'm done on this - I understand where you're coming from, but disagree about your inability to have realized it.
My bank was locked down and showed nothing so I relied on my online account access to the companies I had business with. You have done everything you can to take the side of a private business who violated fair debt collection laws on both federal and state levels.

Zigner

Fair enough to discount public defenders? SERIOUSLY?
You know me better than that. Look at it from a different perspective. If the OP gets ahead of this and hires her own attorney, it may be headed off before it even gets to the point of asking for a public defender. A simple phone call from her attorney could nip this in the bud. Of course, I'm assuming that the OP intends to pay her bill and all of the associated costs to this point. Once this gets in to a court room and the OP requests a public defender, a lot of doors will have closed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">