• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of an armed robbery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfrye

(Delaware)

I am a victim of an armed robbery. There were three persons that held up me and my friends at my apartment with multiple weapons and guns. They pointed guns at all of us, had a gun to the side of my roommates head, and demanded all cash and wallets.

The police caught one of the robbers. He was arrested, processed in court, sentenced, etc, and he was found guilty of about a ton of charges. The bail or whatever was like $120,000.

My question is: What do I do now? Do I have any rights to sue him for anything

las365

You certainly can sue him in civil court; however, collecting a judgment against him would probably be difficult to impossible. Does he have money?

A quick google search turned up the Delaware state police victim's assistance program. Delaware State Police - Victim Services

Maybe it would be helpful to you.

CdwJava

Chances are he was ordered to make restitution. However, it is very likely that the defendant has very little assets if any at all.

So, you can pay an attorney to sue him, but it may be a largely symbolic and expensive victory unless you know this guy stands to inherit or receive money in the future.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">