• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation in KY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? KY

My best friend isn't divorce, no legal separation either (We all know he needs to get an attorney and get the divorce and visitation taken care of but he hasn't the financial means at this time.). He does pay court enforced child support. The question is does his wife (cp) have the right to deny him visitation?

I feel the answer is without a court order she can more or less do what she wants. I've been looking/reading the state statues, etc and haven't been able to find it, but I thought I once read that there was an 'implied' understanding in such cases of every other weekend and reasonable during the week.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unless there's a court order for visitation, she's under no obligation to provide it.

wileybunch

Technically your friend doesn't need a visitation order to have the right to have time with his kids, they are his, too, and he's not subject to a CO at this time, either. But, it could get dicey for him to remove kids from their normal environments if Mom's not willingly letting him see the kids, can be a big trauma for the kids unfortunately when the CP isn't cooperating. There are parents that steal the kids back and forth from each other prior to getting a CO -- don't imagine that's in the child's best interests, either. He does need to get a CO in place so that's hammered out away from the kids. Until he has visitation in a CO, he has no court-ordered visitation like stealth said, period, he's more or less at Mom's mercy.

thanks

That's what I thought also. He's saving to be able to get this taken care of asap, just wanted confirmation on what we thought was the deal until he can get a court order. Appreciate the responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">