• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isis1

Avidavitt of Paternity, Proof of Paternity, Aknowledgment of Paternity (depends on your state how it's worded.

form that you sign at the hospital stating you are in fact dad.

dad won't have rights intil he files for them in court. in the event he does show up, call the police. he does not have the right to visitation until a judge orders it so.

Last edited:

catdog23

so if a birth cert.was signed then yes an AOP was as well? we are talking 2 diff signatures ? sorry i dont recall, and this has been 16 yrs ago.

thanks

TinkerBelleLuvr

You actually sign an acknowledgement of paternity and then the information is put on a birth certificate. If you look at the birth certificates, you will note that NEITHER parent's signatures appear on them, just their names.

LdiJ

so if a birth cert.was signed then yes an AOP was as well? we are talking 2 diff signatures ? sorry i dont recall, and this has been 16 yrs ago.

thanks
Even if he is the legal father, he still has no rights to visitation unless he takes it to court and the judge awards him those rights. With his history, and your child's age and wishes, its NOT guaranteed that an Indiana judge would give him any visitation rights, even if he did take it to court.

However, as its already been pointed out, there is a better than decent chance that your daughter would turn 18 before he could even get anything ordered. Once she is 18, its totally her choice.

2Mistakes

You actually sign an acknowledgement of paternity and then the information is put on a birth certificate. If you look at the birth certificates, you will note that NEITHER parent's signatures appear on them, just their names.
Not in every state.

IN MS (I know, not the OP's state, but this is strictly an example), one of the parents does sign the BC. Doesn't matter which one, and it has nothing to do with paternity. It is just to verify that the info is correct.

Not sure about OP's state or any other state. But in some states parents DO sign the BC, so I think that can be confusing.

catdog23

Well, I would stop worrying for now. By the time he is released and if he actually pursues this, she may be an adult before the court gets to make the decision for her. When she is 18, she will get to choose to establish a relationship with him or not, without you or the court dictating that to her.
No sense worrying her or yourself unnecessarily.
I just rec'd letter addressed to me from him recently stating his release from prison being soon and he tellin me he WILL be contacting ME once upon his release and he promises this will be this last contact effort.

now some ppl say why didnt you return to sender, my answer when you are dealing w/ppl of this nature i think doing that would only give him time to figure out his revenge while sitting there among his new found friends....who knows what they are all capable of......i dont want to fuel this guy...
but i do want him to leave us alone!

now what do i do? anyone? thank you.

LdiJ

I just rec'd letter addressed to me from him recently stating his release from prison being soon and he tellin me he WILL be contacting ME once upon his release and he promises this will be this last contact effort.

now some ppl say why didnt you return to sender, my answer when you are dealing w/ppl of this nature i think doing that would only give him time to figure out his revenge while sitting there among his new found friends....who knows what they are all capable of......i dont want to fuel this guy...
but i do want him to leave us alone!

now what do i do? anyone? thank you.
You wait until he contacts you when he gets out, and you tell him to leave you alone or you will get a restraining order.

I really do not think that you have anything to worry about. However, if you are actually scared of him, then moving might be in order.

catdog23

thanks for the advice...it is appreciated!
i dont understand why i would have to wait tho....
why not be ahead of this?
i dont even want to speak w/this guy at all...to have to wait for a phone call?
creepy...
and i really dont plan on moving the rest of my life ...i understand the theory i mean yes i want to be safe, but having to look over my shoulder and run....
Plus we all know that is easier said then done...one can always be found...as well as restraining orders really dont do much.

can you just walk into the local police station to file restraining order?

thanks again !

wileybunch

thanks for the advice...it is appreciated!
i dont understand why i would have to wait tho....
why not be ahead of this?
i dont even want to speak w/this guy at all...to have to wait for a phone call?
creepy...
and i really dont plan on moving the rest of my life ...i understand the theory i mean yes i want to be safe, but having to look over my shoulder and run....
Plus we all know that is easier said then done...one can always be found...as well as restraining orders really dont do much.

can you just walk into the local police station to file restraining order?

thanks again !
Once he get out, he will be on parole so you can contact his parole officer about this and s/he will set him straight. In the meantime, you may consider contacting the prison so they stop the mail from coming while he's in there.

catdog23

To think a person even has to go thru all this, you'd think us not replying to him thru all these yrs, he would get the hint!

For me to have to even look for his parole officer. Or having to contact the prison at all...Insanity~

thanks again for replies...however ive not heard how to file a retraining order?

can i go directly to police station?

LdiJ

To think a person even has to go thru all this, you'd think us not replying to him thru all these yrs, he would get the hint!

For me to have to even look for his parole officer. Or having to contact the prison at all...Insanity~

thanks again for replies...however ive not heard how to file a retraining order?

can i go directly to police station?
You cannot file a restraining order against someone who is in prision. You have to wait until they get out, and then can only file one if they harass or threaten you in some way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">