• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitations and parenting stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strongbus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Ok I am the step-dad and I stay out of stuff the best I can but one of the two questions has to deal with me so going ask both for me and wife in one post.

Please note the child has ODD and ADHD.

Both me and wife went though a training course setup by CPS(was told as a step-parent that CPS expects me to know what to do and to do it if needed) to learn how they expect parents to deal with special needs kids. This includes if needed how to restrain the child if he starts to hit himself or others. Father went though a parenting course though another program he was going though at the time(though don't know if one approved by CPS for special needs kids)

In the court order wife is CP with solo custody. Order stats that there are no set visitaition times just to be worked out between her and her ex.

Wife and ex can setup a visite for a drop off time and pick up time(overnigth or just for a few hours), but as soon as the child starts to have any type of issues the ex is calling and demanding that the child is pickup asap.

He as stated that he dosn't want to deal with the child when he has a fit or such. In fact the child spent last nigth at dads and was not to be picked up till noon est, and at 7am was getting a call saying that the child was acting up and hitting dad and to come get him NOW. After getting child in car ex leaned in to car and told both me and ex that if child stays like this he is not alowed over to dad's house.

1st is there anything wife can do to deal with this throught the courts? Do not think having set times will work cause ex will just keep doing the same thing.

2nd. The father has made it clear that he dosen't want wife or me to hold the child if he starts to hit himself or us. But CPS has stated that they expect wife or me to. Can the father stop us form doing what CPS has told us they want to do?

mistoffolees

1st is there anything wife can do to deal with this throught the courts? Do not think having set times will work cause ex will just keep doing the same thing.
Not through the courts, but Mom can be thankful that Dad calls her when he can't handle the situation rather than letting it deteriorate.

Do you think it's better for the child to be forced to stay with Dad who doesn't want him there and can't deal with the situation or being back with Mom where he's safe?

2nd. The father has made it clear that he dosen't want wife or me to hold the child if he starts to hit himself or us. But CPS has stated that they expect wife or me to. Can the father stop us form doing what CPS has told us they want to do?
No. You state that Mom has sole custody and can therefore do anything necessary consistent with the child's needs and safety. The fact that CPS suggested it says he can't really object (well, he can object, but it won't get anywhere). Heck, even if they had joint custody, it's a legitimate parenting decision and Mom could do what is being suggested by CPS during her time.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Ok I am the step-dad and I stay out of stuff the best I can but one of the two questions has to deal with me so going ask both for me and wife in one post.

Please note the child has ODD and ADHD.

Both me and wife went though a training course setup by CPS(was told as a step-parent that CPS expects me to know what to do and to do it if needed) to learn how they expect parents to deal with special needs kids. This includes if needed how to restrain the child if he starts to hit himself or others. Father went though a parenting course though another program he was going though at the time(though don't know if one approved by CPS for special needs kids)

In the court order wife is CP with solo custody. Order stats that there are no set visitaition times just to be worked out between her and her ex.

Wife and ex can setup a visite for a drop off time and pick up time(overnigth or just for a few hours), but as soon as the child starts to have any type of issues the ex is calling and demanding that the child is pickup asap.

He as stated that he dosn't want to deal with the child when he has a fit or such. In fact the child spent last nigth at dads and was not to be picked up till noon est, and at 7am was getting a call saying that the child was acting up and hitting dad and to come get him NOW. After getting child in car ex leaned in to car and told both me and ex that if child stays like this he is not alowed over to dad's house.

Why is CPS involved?

strongbus

Blue Meanie
there are parenting classes that parents/grandparents/stepparents can take in this state to teach them how to take care of a speical needs kids. These are done by 3 party places. These places have to have the classes aproved by CPS to show them that they are teaching the rigth stuff and that the parents know how to properly handly a speical needs child based on what CPS thinks is rigth. This was done after the child was dianosge with ODD and ADHD. Something bout standard thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">