• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA. state resident here. child support/ remarrying question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edisonjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington
If I get remarried, can my ex wife use my NEW wife's income to get child support?

edisonjr

child support wa.state/ new wife can ex get her hands in new income?

I'm planning on remarrying soon and I have a child support order that has been in effect for 7 years. WA state. Can my ex wife get her hands on my new wife's income? and also I am unemployed and going back to college, unemeployment is running out in 4 months, can the judge increase it or would he reduce child support?

Last edited:

Proserpina

I'm planning on remarrying soon and I have a child support order that has been in effect for 7 years. WA state. Can my ex wife get her hands on my new wife's income? and also I am unemployed and going back to college, unemeployment is running out in 4 months, can the judge increase it or would he reduce child support? email me at [email protected]

(please remove your email address - you're inviting a whole heap of spam!)

Generally, your new wife's income would ONLY be included in determining support if the court decided that you are voluntarily un- or under-employed. In WA it's more likely that, if your ex filed for a modification, you would be imputed at least minimum wage.

Both of you can file to modify at this point - several things will be taken into account, including your employment status.

edisonjr

new wife, can ex get her income

You really didnt answer the question. Can my ex wife get my new wife's income, regardless if I am employed or not..I am currently enrolled in college and paying with grants and loans, I know she cant touch that, but can she touch my new wife's income? thanks

Proserpina

You really didnt answer the question. Can my ex wife get my new wife's income, regardless if I am employed or not..I am currently enrolled in college and paying with grants and loans, I know she cant touch that, but can she touch my new wife's income? thanks

Terribly sorry.

No, your ex wife cannot "get" your new wife's income. Unless of course, that income is deposited into a joint account and you are behind on support, and your ex manages to levy that account.

Is that better?

edisonjr

child support wa.state/ new wife can ex get her hands in new income?

Thank you, just trying to make sure my EX cannot leach to my new wife's income. Just wondering how you came across your answer, are you an atty? do you have any links related to this? thank you again.

Proserpina

Thank you, just trying to make sure my EX cannot leach to my new wife's income. Just wondering how you came across your answer, are you an atty? do you have any links related to this? thank you again.

I am not an attorney; I do live in WA state though and have dealt with this myself.

You can google "WA state child support" and find lots of information, too.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm planning on remarrying soon and I have a child support order that has been in effect for 7 years. WA state. Can my ex wife get her hands on my new wife's income? and also I am unemployed and going back to college, unemeployment is running out in 4 months, can the judge increase it or would he reduce child support?
Technically, no she cannot get her hands on your new wife's income.

As for an increase or reduction of support? A lot will depend on why you are unemployed. Were you laid off, or did you quit? It makes a difference.

leapingleena

Can ex-wife get new wife's money????

No, but the courts can base your support payments on your current earning potential, the education level you currently have and your age. They did this to my ex. He was chronically unemployed and/or a student all the time. Also another concern is if you do not make those support payments you face license suspension, garnishment of up to 50% of your wages, losing any government rebates and/or income tax refunds, tax deductions and possible jail time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">