• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to confirm total termination of all clauses in previous employment contract.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am Georgia. In 2016 I joined a company, XXXX, with a humongous amount of stuff that I signed during the hiring process. I quit in January 2017, but now I am concerned that there is still some legal arrangement between that firm and I. I do not have a copy of the stuff that I signed, but I am concerned that it may have contained clauses totally unrelated to what was discussed during the hiring process.

How can I obtain a copy of the complete legal documents between XXXX and I?

How can I confirm that every contract entered into between XXXX and I is no longer in effect?

Thanks!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Were you an employee (W-2 at the end of the year) or a contractor (1099 at the end of the year)?

I was a W2 employee. However, if there is some legal mumbo jumbo, they may have converted me to a contractor role, unbeknownst to me, after sending me a termination letter for my W2 role. I want to get confirmation that there is no existing agreement between XXXX and I since the time that I quit, and I want to terminate it immediately if there is something lingering. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no legal way you could have been converted from an employee to a contractor retroactively after termination. That dog just isn't going to hunt. Unless you signed a non-compete agreement there is no kind of agreement that you could possibly be still subject to; even if you did judges in Georgia are reluctant to enforce non-compete agreements unless you were a high level manager; even if such an agreement was signed and enforced, under Georgia law a term of more than two years is considered unreasonable so it would run out on its own in January of 2019 anyway.

Could they have converted me to contractor, unbeknownst to me, and then given me a termination letter for my regular employment to make me think I was breaking it off with them?

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

Could they have converted me to contractor, unbeknownst to me, and then given me a termination letter for my regular employment to make me think I was breaking it off with them?
That would be very unusual and you have not posted anything that would lead us to believe they had done such a thing.

adjusterjack

I do not have a copy of the stuff that I signed
That's on you. You had the papers in your hand. You could have, and should have, insisted on duplicates. Bet you didn't read them.

was a W2 employee. However, if there is some legal mumbo jumbo, they may have converted me to a contractor role, unbeknownst to me, after sending me a termination letter for my W2 role
Look at your last pay stub. Was there withholding?

That doesn't make sense. You said that you quit.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sevensixtwo, I am not just throwing answers at you randomly. I am telling you straight. It IS. NOT. POSSIBLE. for them to have retroactively made you a contractor after you left. It CANNOT be done. I'm not even saying it cannot be done legally, although that is certainly true. I'm saying it cannot be done, period. Not after the fact. Not after you quit. It is an impossibility. So stop worrying about it - it didn't happen.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Hi. I am investigating whether or not my former employer inserted fraud documents into my hiring package which may still be binding on me long after I quit in 2017. The interviewer told me in 2016 that the documents he sent to me for the hiring process related to the arrangement we had discussed, but I did not read them and do not know what was in them. I recently called my former employer to ask for the documents I signed in my hiring process. On the phone with the HR lady, when I said, "I'm trying to get a copy of my employment contract," she immediately cut me off saying there is no contract because Georgia is a right to work state. I was only using the term loosely to describe the things I signed in my hiring package. However, the way she cut me off made me wonder if she wasn't a little too fast to hide behind "right to work." Maybe this is just here meme phrase that she sees everytime she does her yearly HR training, I don't know, but I would like to know what kind of things an employer is shielded from through "right to work" law so that I can inquire about those things specifically. Thanks!
First off, her excuse is nonsense. A right to work state has nothing whatsoever to do with employment contracts. A right to work state just means there is a law that prohibits employers and unions to agree to require union membership. You can have contracts in right to work states and you can have no contracts in states that allow closed shops.

Right to work is often confused with "at will" employment. All but one state in the US is an "at will" state. That doesn't mean anything with respect to contracts either. Absent you having signed a contract explicitly with the employer (or one collectively done by a union on your behalf), all employment is "at will." This means you can quit at any time and they can fire you at any time (except for certain protected reasons like race or religion or in some cases age).

Anyhow, in general, the other party in a contract is not required to provide you with copies after the fact. You're expected to keep your own copies.

You've still not explained why a company that you're not employed with holds some piece of paper that possibly has any influence on you..

CONTRACTING takes a contract, either explicitly in writing or meeting the requirements for an oral contract. There has to be some mutual agreement and consideration (i.e., you doing something for them paying you). If that hasn't happened, there's no way you are contractually obligated to do anything (nor they).

In January, they'll send you a W-2, and if you have contractual payments (that you somehow are ignorant of) that amount to over $600 you'll get a 1099.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I asked before and the question was ignored. WHY are you so concerned about this? Is there something specifically that is occurring that is affecting you, or are you simply a worrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">