• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Warrant in Dread"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

courier2003

Filing a lawsuit that you KNOW (or should reasonably know) is improper can lead the court (at the request of the other party) to issue sanctions against you. @Taxing Matters is an attorney and is much more knowledgeable about this than I am. I don't think that your sister would ask for this, but I'm just pointing out that it may be possible.

EDIT: The point is that filing a lawsuit that you know is improper, just because you're pissed, is not a wise thing to do.
I guess you're suggesting I drop the whole damn thing. Some losses can never be measured by just money. The ones that hurt me the most right now have nothing to do with that. I didn't want this to be about money just fairness, but it doesn't look like I'll find that. I was not trying to deliberately file an improper lawsuit. I've lost the rest of my family. No amount of money will never be able to take the place of that.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, your father didn't update his will. Does it suck? Sure. Is it a shame she's not interested in doing what you believe to be the "right" thing? Sure. But such is life. Sometimes, all one can do is shrug and walk away. You did what was needed for your Dad when he needed it, and that's something you should be proud of. Your sister will have to live with her own actions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess you're suggesting I drop the whole damn thing.
No. I am suggesting that you be aware of and consider the possible consequences of your actions.

Some losses can never be measured by just money. The ones that hurt me the most right now have nothing to do with that. I didn't want this to be about money just fairness, but it doesn't look like I'll find that. I was not trying to deliberately file an improper lawsuit. I've lost the rest of my family. No amount of money will never be able to take the place of that.
Great reason(s) to NOT sue. Lawsuits are about money and, as you obviously know, money isn't going to fix this.

PayrollHRGuy

I guess you're suggesting I drop the whole damn thing. Some losses can never be measured by just money. The ones that hurt me the most right now have nothing to do with that. I didn't want this to be about money just fairness, but it doesn't look like I'll find that. I was not trying to deliberately file an improper lawsuit. I've lost the rest of my family. No amount of money will never be able to take the place of that.
Yet you want to sue for money. Everything you have written about is money. If you thought there was an error in the will you had the opportunity to dispute it within the statute of limitations. You failed to do so.

Do you really want to spend your last days (assuming you are as sick as you say you are) on this issue?

courier2003

I just called the Louisa County District Court office and asked them what needs to be done to dismiss this lawsuit. I just have to fax them something in writing stating that. Maybe that is indeed the best thing to do. The turmoil this is causing me is not worth it. I'm sorry now I didn't consult all of you first before going through with this. My sister will never see me again. Unfortunately, that's another "death" I'll have to deal with along with my Dad :(

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I just called the Louisa County District Court office and asked them what needs to be done to dismiss this lawsuit. I just have to fax them something in writing stating that. Maybe that is indeed the best thing to do. The turmoil this is causing me is not worth it. I'm sorry now I didn't consult all of you first before going through with this.
Exactly (re the bolded). Best of luck to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like to point out that everything we have said is based ONLY on the information you have presented to us. Our advice is absolutely no substitute for a review of the matter by a local attorney. You should NOT take any legal actions based on what random strangers on the internet have said without thoroughly reviewing the matter yourself, preferably with an attorney.

courier2003

I would like to point out that everything we have said is based ONLY on the information you have presented to us. Our advice is absolutely no substitute for a review of the matter by a local attorney. You should NOT take any legal actions based on what random strangers on the internet have said without thoroughly reviewing the matter yourself, preferably with an attorney.
Point taken thank you. I haven't canceled anything yet about this case.

doucar

Whether or not you dismiss the case the Court will dismiss it, as the General District Court lacks jurisdiction to hear your case.

Last edited:

courier2003

Whether or not you dismiss the case the Court will dismiss it, as the General District Court lacks jurisdiction to hear your cars.
I'm presuming you meant my case not cars. I'm not driving 2 hours to Louisa County just to have them dismiss my case. If that's what they're going to eventually do, then let them do it without my making any trip.

courier2003

I was requesting 25% of whatever she received from the sale of our Dad's house in North Carolina, but I was willing to leave that open to negotiation. I don't know the exact amount of what it sold for. Keep in mind that between March 2019 and June 2019, she was in possession of three houses. I was supposed to inherit the house in North Carolina, but like I said, my Dad never updated his will to reflect those wishes.

What hurts the most about all of this has nothing to do with money. I've lost what's left of my family. Cost isn't always measured by dollar signs. Regardless of whether or not I could have received a settlement from a case like this, I would have never felt like a "winner." There are no winners here at all.

courier2003

I'm deeply hurt over all of this. I may never get completely over it. I have quite a few pieces to pick up off the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">