• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I harassed and slandered? What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i6and6and6

Hello, I live in NY. I've graduated high school and recently went to visit my school teachers after school hours. After a long conversation with the greeter about life and catching up, she gave me permission and a visitor pass to go see my old teachers. All of my teachers were happy to see me and everything was going well up until the point where a janitor at the school who I've never met before confronted me stating "people really aren't supposed to be here after school hours and that I should leave." At this point, I showed him my visitor pass and informed him as respectfully as I could that I had permission to be here and I was going to see my last teacher, and I would leave afterwards. At this point the janitor gave me a dirty look and seemed upset by this, but walked away. After I had seen my last teacher, he confronted me again stating it was time for me to leave. I informed him I would leave, as I had already planned on it and did not want to cause any further issues. I said goodbye to the greater and left. About a week or so later I received a letter from the superintendent stating that I was not allowed on school grounds due to the "incident" referring to the date I had visited my teachers. The letter also stated that I had no business being at the school, and that my presence in the school made some staff members feel uncomfortable. I shrugged it off but unfortunately the story doesn't end there. Maybe a week later I received a message from a friend of mine stating that one of my old teachers had reached out to her asking if I was doing alright because that teacher had received a letter sent to all teachers in the district stating I was not allowed on school grounds because I was endangering students and staff. I was caused no problems that day and even received permission from a staff member at the school allowing me to visit. So my questions are, what are my options? I have not been on school property since, but if I was on school property could I face legal issues? Is it legal for the superintendent to email all my teachers stating I was danger and was not allowed on school grounds? Can I sue or press legal charges on either the superintendent or school district?

quincy

Hello, I live in NY. I've graduated high school and recently went to visit my school teachers after school hours. After a long conversation with the greeter about life and catching up, she gave me permission and a visitor pass to go see my old teachers. All of my teachers were happy to see me and everything was going well up until the point where a janitor at the school who I've never met before confronted me stating "people really aren't supposed to be here after school hours and that I should leave." At this point, I showed him my visitor pass and informed him as respectfully as I could that I had permission to be here and I was going to see my last teacher, and I would leave afterwards. At this point the janitor gave me a dirty look and seemed upset by this, but walked away. After I had seen my last teacher, he confronted me again stating it was time for me to leave. I informed him I would leave, as I had already planned on it and did not want to cause any further issues. I said goodbye to the greater and left. About a week or so later I received a letter from the superintendent stating that I was not allowed on school grounds due to the "incident" referring to the date I had visited my teachers. The letter also stated that I had no business being at the school, and that my presence in the school made some staff members feel uncomfortable. I shrugged it off but unfortunately the story doesn't end there. Maybe a week later I received a message from a friend of mine stating that one of my old teachers had reached out to her asking if I was doing alright because that teacher had received a letter sent to all teachers in the district stating I was not allowed on school grounds because I was endangering students and staff. I was caused no problems that day and even received permission from a staff member at the school allowing me to visit. So my questions are, what are my options? I have not been on school property since, but if I was on school property could I face legal issues? Is it legal for the superintendent to email all my teachers stating I was danger and was not allowed on school grounds? Can I sue or press legal charges on either the superintendent or school district?
The school appears to have overreacted to your visit. Perhaps this overreaction is understandable based on the recent violent events in schools, but it was an overreaction nonetheless.

Years ago, it was common for graduated students to return to their schools to visit with their old teachers. Teachers enjoyed seeing their former students and learning about their students' lives since graduation.

I would communicate by formal letter to the staff member who provided you with a visitor pass. Explain to the teacher what has happened after your visit and see if this staff member can smooth things over with the school staff.

I would not return to the school until the school contacts you - which they should, with an apology.

PayrollHRGuy

You have the option to no longer go to the school as the person that has control of the property (the Superintendent) has asked.

Yes, if you returned to the school you could be charged with trespassing.

Of course it is legal for the Superintendent to email his employees.

You could but you have no damages and no proof of defamation.

PayrollHRGuy

For the record...

I say you have no proof because you didn't see the email. The superintendent may well have written that having former students on campus is a danger to students and staff.

With recent events former students are a concern as is anyone that doesn't have to be there.

The staff member that gave you a pass may well have gotten in some level of trouble for doing so.

quincy

Hello, I live in NY. ... Maybe a week later I received a message from a friend of mine stating that one of my old teachers had reached out to her asking if I was doing alright because that teacher had received a letter sent to all teachers in the district stating I was not allowed on school grounds because I was endangering students and staff. I was caused no problems that day ..
If a message was, in fact, sent saying that he was "endangering" students and staff, that could be considered defamation per se. Injury to reputation is presumed and damages can be awarded for this presumed injury.

I think everyone who works or studies at schools have nerves on edge. Although this can explain the overreaction, it does not excuse defamation.

I think before any legal action is considered, however, that a better course of action is to try to correct the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

If it was defamation depends on exactly what was said in the email. We don't know that and at best the OP only has third hand knowledge of it.

quincy

My post was more for the OP than you.
Okay. :)

He received a letter from the superintendent that seems to support what his friend told him but, yes, what exactly was said in the message received by the teachers would need to be known before a defamation claim is considered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">