• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was this search legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Sunstorm said:
The Mayor is going to have the charges dropped because I have since corrected the problem.
Interesting that in your state the MAYOR is involved in the justice system. Out here if the mayor tried to have a citation dropped it would likely result in some sort of investigation against the mayor and anyone who tried to drop it.

Different states, different rules.

- Carl

CdwJava

cepe10 said:
In MD they can only hide the training and testing records for government employees if it is somehow against the "public interest" to divulge them. I would think WV is about the same.
I suppose it depends on whether they are classified as personnel records or not, and what protections are granted to those records under state law.

Off the top of my head I cannot say whether they would be "personnel records" in CA, but I suspect they are. In which case they could be withheld on a request without cause. If training were relevent to the case being tried (i.e. radar training, or specialized drug training) then the records would likely be released.

EDIT: After looking it up, I found that law enforcement training records while technically "personnel records" would still "ordinarily" not be exempt from disclosure. To quote the CA Attorney General:

"Information such as an individual's qualifications, training, or employment background, which are generally public in nature, ordinarily are not exempt."

- Carl

Last edited:
G

Gevalia

CdwJava said:
Interesting that in your state the MAYOR is involved in the justice system. Out here if the mayor tried to have a citation dropped it would likely result in some sort of investigation against the mayor and anyone who tried to drop it.

Different states, different rules.

- Carl
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works in NC, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">