• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weird DWLS case.. Thoughts please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigMistakeFl

Suspended

That doesnt' have anything to do with what I asked. he wrote me for having a suspended Tn license specifically..
Sure it does. You don't think your license is suspended, but it is, by the court. Maybe it hasn't gotten to the DMV yet, doesn't make your license any less suspended.

I am thinking its because i dont have a TN license here anyway and never had on be. I never transferred my license over from my home state when i moved here..
Just because you didn't get a TN license when you moved there doesn't mean the suspension won't carry right over to your home state.... it will, and the license suspension in TN is a suspended license in all states.

If a Judge in Tenn or the DMV in Tenn suspends your driving privleges in Tenn, and you the get caught driving in Tenn before it is reinstated in Tenn, then they can charge you for DWLS. It doesn't matter if your home State didn't suspend it.
Now if your home State doesn't suspend it, then you can drive in any state that hasn't suspended it.

Do you understand?

If your license is suspended in TN, or any state, you no longer have a valid license in ANY state.
Sorry Charlie, Tenn courts and DMV do not have the power to suspend an out of state drivers license out side of their boarders. They do have the ability to suspend it within tenn boarders and to notify other jurisdictions of the suspentions that they invoke.

foot

It may have been that TN revoked his priviledge to drive in TN, but his license was never suspended. I know that PA will not suspend your license for you first out-of-state DUI, but the state in which you are arrested will not allow you to drive there.

BigMistakeFl

Advising OP not to drive

I'll explain:

"Tennessee is a member of the Driver License Compact (DLC) and the Non-Resident Violators Compact of 1977 (NRVC). Being a member of these compacts requires a member state to post a conviction arising from a traffic offense within their state to the National Driver Register (NDR). The NDR is a nationwide database accessible to all members. Therefore, member state DMV's can easily check to see if you received any convictions in another state.

For example, if you are convicted of a DUI in Tennessee and part of your sentence was a one-year suspension of your driving privilege, your home state can check the NDR. In accordance with the DLC and NRVC, member states would recognize and honor your TN sentence by simultaneously suspending your driving privilege for one-year."

If your license is suspended in one state, you can bet it will be suspended in all states. It may take time. Do not drive until you get proof that this is not the case, or you may be in violation.

Driving right now would put the OP in risk of Driving While Suspended. Bet on your license being suspended UNTIL you can prove otherwise. One way is thus: "You are entitled, under the provisions of the Privacy Act, to request a file search to see if you have a record on the NDR."

Sure it does. You don't think your license is suspended, but it is, by the court. Maybe it hasn't gotten to the DMV yet, doesn't make your license any less suspended.

Just because you didn't get a TN license when you moved there doesn't mean the suspension won't carry right over to your home state.... it will, and the license suspension in TN is a suspended license in all states.
Wrong.. It will not carry over.. Even the lawyer said that..MI and TN is not apart of the compact.. Now if I tried to go to MI and apply for a license I would be denied since they check the other NDS National Data System

It may have been that TN revoked his priviledge to drive in TN, but his license was never suspended. I know that PA will not suspend your license for you first out-of-state DUI, but the state in which you are arrested will not allow you to drive there.

Yes thats exactly what they did. But the cop wrote me for DWLS which is wrong, its not suspended its revoked and also the DMV said I am not in there system and If I wanted i could get a license here even tho the judge revoked it..

its kind of complicated

I guess

1. It boils down to who has the say so.. Judge can order me revoked.suspended but he has to notify DMV.. DMV was never notified..

I dont see if I had a valid license in my hand and the judge says I am suspending your license for 2 years, give me your license... Can a judge actually do that or does he have to relay the info to DMV for DMV can actualy suspend it?

If being revoked and suspended is the same thing? I got wrote for being suspended when my license is "suppose" to be revoked for 1 year

I'll explain:

"Tennessee is a member of the Driver License Compact (DLC) and the Non-Resident Violators Compact of 1977 (NRVC). Being a member of these compacts requires a member state to post a conviction arising from a traffic offense within their state to the National Driver Register (NDR). The NDR is a nationwide database accessible to all members. Therefore, member state DMV's can easily check to see if you received any convictions in another state.

For example, if you are convicted of a DUI in Tennessee and part of your sentence was a one-year suspension of your driving privilege, your home state can check the NDR. In accordance with the DLC and NRVC, member states would recognize and honor your TN sentence by simultaneously suspending your driving privilege for one-year."

If your license is suspended in one state, you can bet it will be suspended in all states. It may take time. Do not drive until you get proof that this is not the case, or you may be in violation.

Driving right now would put the OP in risk of Driving While Suspended. Bet on your license being suspended UNTIL you can prove otherwise. One way is thus: "You are entitled, under the provisions of the Privacy Act, to request a file search to see if you have a record on the NDR."
Your wrong...TN and MI is NOT apart of the Driver interstate compact which is different then the NDR..

NDR is used for to say if I was suspended in TN and I tried to go to MI and apply for license. I would get denied because MI would check NDR and see the suspension...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the driver interstate compact act says, states will report traffic violations to other states and report to each other and the same consequence that happen in one state will happen in the other state of the out of state driver..

NOW, TN and MI are not on the list..They dont share info...So if I was to visit TN and get a DUI, MI would not suspend my license for this.

Get it?

We get it, but you don't get it.

Whether it's the DMV, NDR, NRVC, YTSTOAC, ABC, or any other part of the alphabet soup, bottom line is, your license is suspended.

You already seem to have all of the answers. Do you feel now that you have something to prove? Why are you wasting your time posting all of this, when the bottom line remains the same?

Last edited:

BigMistakeFl

got it

Yes I "get it.

But feel free to go ahead and drive, you'll be in company with all the other folks out there driving with a suspended license. And one day you'll be stopped, and you can argue with the cop or with the court, then you you can tell them why they just don't seem to get it either.

Please feel free to argue with them and give them all these reasons why your license is not suspended. Tell them they are wrong. They'll completely understand, give you a pat on the back, and send you on your way, wishing you to have a nice day. Cops and judges really like it when you tell them they are dead wrong.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">