• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weird Police Interrogation Following Administrative Complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yamahasaxplayer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Two days ago, two uniformed police officers came to my home to ask me questions regarding a complaint that was filed with them. I am a graduate student and the report was filed by a female undergraduate student with whom I have no hold over their grades or any form of academic progress. She initiated conversations with me roughly seven weeks ago that were initially pedestrian but became, at one point, somewhat graphically sexual; something she initiated when she recounted the story of how she had behaved irresponsibly by engaging in sexual intercourse with "a random guy" which led to teasing on both sides of the conversation. Conversations between us over facebook and text message continued for about five to six weeks and over the course of that time many subjects were discussed across a broad range of topics. She began to ask for help with money and homework assignments. I wrote something for her mainly as an example of a well-written essay but she turned it in as her own work. She asked me for money or for me to take her shopping. She claimed she had less than $10 in the bank, couldn't afford to do laundry, and could not afford to eat; I gave her $100. In turn, I asked her to do some things around my house like doing dishes or putting away laundry. Not long after, I was asked to come to my department head's office where I was told the undergraduate student had made an administrative claim against me. At this point I cut all contact off with this person. I deleted her number from my phone and, a few days later, blocked her from my facebook. This brings me back to the police officers. During the course of their questioning they brought up two unusual points: 1. One asked when I took my "male member" out and why (I hadn't done this); 2. The same officer quoted a text message sent to this persons phone and accused me of sending it. This text message was one I was completely unfamiliar with and I assumed it was one that had been sent after I had cut off all contact with this person. I told the officer that I had no idea about the text message to which he was referring and I also explained that I hadn't shared a word with her in any form since my initial meeting with my department head two weeks ago. He then said, "It came from your phone number. The one we have on record at the university." This point is absolutely, positively false as I have not had contact with this person for almost two weeks! Also, it turns out this undergraduate has been sharing our conversations out of context with other undergraduates and faculty in my department. I was once well-respected within the department and now I have been relegated to sitting in an office for hours on end which disallows me to do a majority of the work I am required to perform.

1. Did I do anything wrong? In context, all this person and I shared was conversation. I never had intercourse, never kissed, nor ever touched this person.
2. If this person stated I removed my "male member" from my trousers but did not and stated I sent threatening text messages to her when I did not, is this false reporting on her part? Why would a police officer lie to me about the text message I was supposed to have recently sent when I positively did not?
3. When this is all over (I'm hoping that this will be dismissed or I will be found not guilty of any criminal charges), would a case of defamation in false light be possible against the person making the claim?

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I meet with my attorney tomorrow morning. I secured an attorney when I first heard of the administrative claim but now that it seems a police report was filed (almost two weeks after the administrative complaint, it seems), I am thinking more urgently.

Please help and thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Police officers investigate. They're allowed to lie to elicit incriminating information from them. Frankly, I'd decline to talk to them further without an attorney present (frankly, given the fact that you won't willfully incriminate yourself further will probably make them go away).

A defamation suit is probably ill-advised for several reasons:

1. First, you'd have to prove the other person did maliciously fabricate a story they did not believe was true.
2. Second, they'd have to have some asset which a student probably has that you could recover against in your lawsuit.
3. Finally, in the terms of the great lawyer Louis Nizer, if you win this suit, you still lose. His analogy is that it is like getting mud splashed on your coat. If you attack it immediately and aggressively you'll end up smearing it all over the place making it a real mess to clean up. If you wait a while, it will dry up, flake off, and brush away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">