• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodrowbsc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I went to work as a manager over a shop for a specified salary plus 10% of what ever the shop profited. This was a verbal contract between myself and the 3 owners, Did not sign a contract. For the last 3 weeks, I have been paid like, they might give me a check and ask me to hold it a couple of days or they would just tell me that were'nt going to pay til a certain date. I am getting ready to leave this company because of this and several other reasons. I am affraid that when I tell them, they may hold my last check for as long as they can. As far as the 10% bonus goes, of which I have not been paid anything, I feel like they will tell me they don't owe me anything. The shop has done approximately $150,000.00of business since I started in June. Legally what are my options.

Also, I crushed my finger while at work, I called one of the owners and he told me to tell the hospital that I owned the shop and that I didn't have any insurance, and they would just pay for it. I don't even know if they had workmans comp. What do I need to do to insure this is taken care of.

Thanks!!!!

dolebot

Also, I crushed my finger while at work, I called one of the owners and he told me to tell the hospital that I owned the shop and that I didn't have any insurance, and they would just pay for it. I don't even know if they had workmans comp. What do I need to do to insure this is taken care of.
Get to the hospital (preferably a state hospital) and tell them this is a workers comp case. Cite your employer.

As far as pay goes - as long as the employer doesn't pay you under minimum wage there is likely not much you can do about it. They are free to change their mind at any time. Such a verbal contract is actually "hearsay" and in practice quite difficult to enforce. I would not call this a bona-fide employment contract - unless all the terms were on paper and properly executed.

Next time get it in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">